Finance & Accounting | Alameda, CA | Full Time
At Saildrone, we sustainably explore, map, and monitor the oceans to understand, preserve, and protect our world. Saildrone provides real-time access to critical data from any ocean on earth, 24/7/365, and uses proprietary software applications to transform that data into actionable insights and intelligence. Saildrone’s fleet of uncrewed surface vehicles (USVs), powered by renewable wind and solar power, have a minimal carbon footprint and operate 24/7/365, without the need for a crewed support vehicle. We work with governments, civil agencies, foundations, universities, and private companies around the globe to drive better information about our oceans and seas—from sailing drones into the eye of a Category 4 hurricane to obtain new scientific storm data, mapping the ocean floor, collecting new CO2 data in hard-to-reach areas, counting biomass to establish fishing quotas, or detecting and stopping illegal fishing and drug trafficking. As a result of our work, we have been included on Fast Company’s annual list of the “World’s Most Innovative Companies for 2022” and earned the 2022 Ocean Awards’ Innovation Award, presented by the Blue Marine Foundation. Saildrone’s hurricane mission was included as one of the New York Times "Top 21 Things that happened (for the first time) in 2021", and Popular Science's "100 Greatest Innovations of 2021".
We are based in Alameda, CA, with offices in Washington DC, St. Petersburg, FL, and Fall River, MA, and operate our missions worldwide. We are backed by top-tier investors in the frontier-tech and sustainability sectors, including Social Capital, Capricorn, Lux Capital, BOND Capital, and Emerson Collective.
This is an exciting opportunity with a fast-growing team at the cutting-edge intersection of big data services and autonomous hardware. You will be an integral part of a high-performing multi-disciplinary delivering high impact for humanity and future generations.
Saildrone is growing and we are looking for a self-motivated dynamic individual to serve as a GL Accountant, to join our Accounting team. In this role, you will be responsible for preparing financial reports, performing account reconciliations, maintaining the general ledger, assisting with audit preparations and audit packets, and performing other accounting duties as assigned. In this role, you will be responsible for supporting the controller in the following tasks:
- Preparing, recording and posting monthly journal entries including, but not limited to accruals, deferrals, expenses and interdepartmental reclassifications.
- Performing General Ledger account reconciliations, including but not limited to Pre-paids, Fixed Assets, Liabilities, Cash and Cash accruals, Accounts Payable and Payable accruals and landed cost assessment.
- Performing self-assessment and internal audits on company’s financials to ensure accuracy.
- Staying current with best practices in accounting, GAAP compliance and new accounting pronouncements.
- Aligning general ledger accounting activities with FP&A , budgeting and forecasting functions.
- Preparing financial statements and assisting in periodic (month end, quarter end and year end) close activities.
- Preparing and Reporting on account fluctuation, variances and flux analyses.
- Performing account analyses to ensure that journal entries and balances are correct.
- Identifying areas of improvements and proposing effective solutions in development of new or amended accounting systems, programs, policies and procedures.
- Assisting with SOX risk assessments and scoping.
- Working with process owners to identify gaps in the current processes and internal controls.
- Providing interpretation and guidance to process owners and business partners regarding risks, key controls, and business requirements.
- Researching and responding to inquiries in a timely and professional manner.
- Assisting in financial audits and implementing audit recommendations.
- Developing reconciliation procedures, reports and audit schedules.
- Taking on ad-hoc projects, as assigned.
- Bachelors and/or Master’s Degree in Accounting/ Economics, or Business
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or CPA candidate preferred.
- 3+ years progressive experience in general ledger accounting or similar; Manufacturing industry experience strongly preferred.
- Advanced proficiency in excel using pivot tables, vlookup and if then logical statements.
- Proficiency in NetSuite and Expensify is a plus - A self starter with the ability to lead initiatives and synthesize data into meaningful outcomes through strong qualitative and quantitative analytical skills.
- Detailed oriented, with the ability to break down complex tasks into small steps leading to maximum efficiency and output.
- The ability to work independently and be self-managing is a must.
- Communication - direct, to the point, and respectful at the same time
- Opinions - generally enjoy reflecting on different ideas and opinions and are relatively open-minded, consider different ideas before coming to a conclusion
- Organization - creates a structure with attention to detail and order that is easily adaptable to change leading to greater efficiency
- Strategic - analyzes the potential pitfalls of the plan or strategy while at the same time being willing to take risks
- Driving - willingness to enforce necessary rules and hold others accountable with warmth and compassion
Location: This position is in Alameda, CA. Only candidates with proper permits to work in the United States can be considered. Our waterfront office offers beautiful views of San Francisco Bay in always sunny Alameda. Even our walls have good karma, our offices mix software development with a hardware production line in the former airplane hangar used to film 'The Matrix'.
- Medical, dental and vision plans for you and your dependents.
- Short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building for SF residents
- Enhanced Parental Leave Programs
- Competitive benefits including excellent medical, life insurance, 401k plan
Catch up on the latest news about us:
An Unprecedented View Inside a Hurricane – EOS (May 6, 2022)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Individuals who require employer sponsorship to remain employed in the United States now or in the future will not be considered for hire for certain positions.
In accordance with Saildrone’s mandatory employee COVID-19 vaccination policy, please be advised that all employees are required to be vaccinated and boosted to safeguard the health of our employees and their families, our customers and visitors and the community at large.
Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our website or to personal email accounts of employees of Saildrone are considered property of Saildrone and are not subject to payment of agency fees.