Full Stack Software Engineer
Software Engineering | Alameda, CA | Full Time
Saildrone designs and manufactures wind and solar powered autonomous surface vehicles called Saildrones, which make cost-effective ocean data collection possible at scale. We are working with governments, civic agencies, foundations, universities and private companies around the globe to drive better information about our oceans and seas - be it in mapping out the ocean floor, collecting new CO2 data in hard-to-reach areas, counting bio-mass to establish fishing quotas, or detecting and stopping illegal fishing and drug trafficking. We believe that better inputs in planetary models in turn yield better outputs and that the new insights gained in weather forecasting, carbon cycling, global fishing and climate change will have tremendous impact on humanity. We are based in Alameda, CA and are backed by Social Capital, The Capricorn Investment Group, Lux Capital, Horizons Venture and The Schmidt Family Foundation.
As a full stack software engineer at Saildrone you’ll be able to spend your time up and down the stack. We’re looking for someone with a solid understanding of modern web technologies as well as experience building scalable backend services to power those frontend applications.
This is primarily a frontend role, but you’ll be spending 20-30% of your time on backend services. You’ll work closely with product managers, frontend and backend engineers to help define feature requirements and execute on them.
- Experience building and deploying web applications using React, Redux, TypeScript, jQuery, VanillaJS, HTML & CSS
- Experience building and deploying web services written in Node (Express, Hapi) using Postgres, Redis & Message Queues (SQS)
- Mapping libraries Google Maps, Mapbox (GL), OSM, Cesium
- Data visualization using D3, Canvas, SVG, WebGL
- Experience deploying services using Kubernetes & Docker
- Experience working with Websockets, gRPC, protobuf
This position is located in Alameda, CA. Only candidates with proper permits to work in the United States can be considered. Our waterfront office offers beautiful views of San Francisco Bay in always sunny Alameda. Even our walls have good karma, our offices mix software development with a hardware production line in the former airplane hangar used to film 'The Matrix'.
- Medical, dental and vision plans for you and your dependents
- Active sailing classes: become a certified skipper on boats up to 35ft! (once COVID safety allows)
- Short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building for SF residents
- Enhanced paternity / maternity programs
- Competitive benefits including excellent medical, life insurance, 401k plan
This is an exciting opportunity with a fast-growing post series-B startup at the cutting-edge intersection of big data services and autonomous hardware. You will be an integral part of a high-performing multi-disciplinary delivering high impact for humanity and future generations.
You can read the latest about us:
Saildrone Surveyor Launch (Jan 2021)
Washington Post: Four autonomous vessels sailed the Arctic to more precisely map its seafloor(Oct 2020)
Maritime Executive: Due to COVID-19, NOAA Uses Drones Instead of Ships for Fishery Survey (June 2020)
Or watch some of our videos: Bloomberg: The Robots Roaming the High Seas
Saildrone is an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our website or to personal email accounts of employees of Saildrone are considered property of Saildrone and are not subject to payment of agency fees.