Finance & Accounting | Alameda, CA | Full Time | From $100,000.00 to $125,000.00 per year
At Saildrone, we sustainably explore, map, and monitor the oceans to understand, preserve, and protect our world. Saildrone provides real-time access to critical data from any ocean on earth, 24/7/365, and uses proprietary software applications to transform that data into actionable insights and intelligence. Saildrone’s fleet of uncrewed surface vehicles (USVs), powered by renewable wind and solar power, have a minimal carbon footprint and operate 24/7/365, without the need for a crewed support vehicle. We work with governments, civil agencies, foundations, universities, and private companies around the globe to drive better information about our oceans and seas—from sailing drones into the eye of a Category 4 hurricane to obtain new scientific storm data, mapping the ocean floor, collecting new CO2 data in hard-to-reach areas, counting biomass to establish fishing quotas, or detecting and stopping illegal fishing and drug trafficking. As a result of our work, we have been included on Fast Company’s annual list of the “World’s Most Innovative Companies for 2022” and earned the 2022 Ocean Awards’ Innovation Award, presented by the Blue Marine Foundation. Saildrone’s hurricane mission was included as one of the New York Times "Top 21 Things that happened (for the first time) in 2021", and Popular Science's "100 Greatest Innovations of 2021".
We are based in Alameda, CA, with offices in Washington DC, St. Petersburg, FL, and Fall River, MA, and operate our missions worldwide. We are backed by top-tier investors in the frontier-tech and sustainability sectors, including Social Capital, Capricorn, Lux Capital, BOND Capital, and Emerson Collective.
This is an exciting opportunity with a fast-growing team at the cutting-edge intersection of big data services and autonomous hardware. You will be an integral part of a high-performing multi-disciplinary delivering high impact for humanity and future generations.
As a rapidly growing company with an evolving business model, Saildrone relies heavily on FP&A to coordinate, roll-up, and balance initiatives across its multiple departments, and to provide its executives with data-driven decision support. Reporting to the Director of FP&A in Alameda, the FP&A Analyst serves a pivotal role in financial planning and decision support across all departments across the organization. The right individual will be a key contributor to the Finance team in developing accurate forecasts, reporting on key metrics, and driving strategic decisions through modeling and analysis. Working with varied constituents, both internal and external, the FP&A Analyst will help maintain up-to-date forecasts, evaluate new initiatives, and develop business plans.
The position is highly visible within the organization and will work cross-functionally to help derive and calculate various metrics, ratios, and drivers. The position is instrumental in the preparation of month-end reporting and analysis of budget-to-actual results, quarterly re-plans, annual financial Plans, trend analysis, and ad hoc analysis to support management decision-making and new business initiatives.
- Assist with monthly reporting packages for senior management and CFO (forecast vs. actuals explanations across P&;L, Balance Sheet, and Cashflow)
- Create monthly reporting packages to inform the members of the company’s Leadership
- Team (i.e., all functional VP’s) of departmental budget-to-actual variances and updated forecasts
- Reconcile monthly workforce planning / headcount and update changes in the planning system
- Work with department leadership to gather and input updates into the financial planning system monthly
- Assist with the design and implementation of the new FP&A software implementation
- Prepare and present analyses, forecasts, reports and recommendations to senior business and finance leaders to support critical decision-making opportunities
- Assist with establishing and maintaining relevant financial metrics to be provided as a dashboard for senior management and business partners
- Drive high-quality, timely analysis that contributes to the performance and success of the business including analytical models in support of new business opportunities and strategic investments
Required skills and experience
- BA or BS in business, finance, or accounting
- 5+ years of experience in Finance with emphasis on budgeting, forecasting, and planning
- Expert level Excel experience (can create and maintain complex spreadsheets)
- Experience with Hyperion Planning or NetSuite Planning and Budgeting. Experience with Planful strongly preferred.
- Advanced strategic thinking and financial analysis skills; strong attention to details required
- Experience working and problem solving independently, organizing workload and priorities, and completing tasks on time
- Excellent communications skills, both written and verbal
- Experience presenting information to senior leadership and comfortable with creating a variety of visual representations of data in a clear format (tables, graphs)
- Experience building relationships and ability to work with all levels of cross-functional teams
- Comfortable with a fast-paced, demanding environment. Must manage multiple tasks and juggle several urgent demands at any given point, while adapting to changing priorities
Location: This position is in Alameda, CA. Only candidates with proper permits to work in the United States can be considered. Our waterfront office offers beautiful views of San Francisco Bay in always sunny Alameda. Even our walls have good karma, our offices mix software development with a hardware production line in the former airplane hangar used to film 'The Matrix'.
- Medical, dental and vision plans for you and your dependents.
- Short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building for SF residents
- Enhanced Parental Leave Programs
- Competitive benefits including excellent medical, life insurance, 401k plan
Catch up on the latest news about us:
An Unprecedented View Inside a Hurricane – EOS (May 6, 2022)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Individuals who require employer sponsorship to remain employed in the United States now or in the future will not be considered for hire for certain positions.
In accordance with Saildrone’s mandatory employee COVID-19 vaccination policy, please be advised that all employees are required to be vaccinated and boosted to safeguard the health of our employees and their families, our customers and visitors and the community at large.
Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our website or to personal email accounts of employees of Saildrone are considered property of Saildrone and are not subject to payment of agency fees.