Final Assembly Technician
Production | Alameda, CA | Full Time
Saildrone designs and manufactures wind and solar powered autonomous surface vehicles called Saildrones, which make cost-effective ocean data collection possible at scale. We are working with governments, civic agencies, foundations, universities, and private companies around the globe to drive better information about our oceans and seas - be it in mapping out the ocean floor, collecting new CO2 data in hard-to-reach areas, counting biomass to establish fishing quotas, or detecting and stopping illegal fishing and trafficking. We believe that better inputs in planetary models in turn yield better outputs and that the new insights gained in weather forecasting, carbon cycling, global fishing and climate change will have tremendous impact on humanity. We are based in Alameda, CA and are backed by Social Capital, The Capricorn Investment Group, Lux Capital, Horizons Venture and The Schmidt Family Foundation.
This is an exciting opportunity with a fast-growing team at the cutting-edge intersection of big data services and autonomous hardware. You will be an integral part of a high-performing multi-disciplinary delivering high impact for humanity and future generations.
You will be a member of our drone Production Team, performing final assembly and test functions on our drones in our factory in Alameda California. This is a hands-on job fitting sub-components into our Saildrone designed ocean going vehicles. Your finished product will be our complete drone system, made up of electronics, mechanics, sensors and satellite communication devices.
You have experience building things...it could be bicycles, boats, consumer or industrial products...something where you have assembled it and it works. You are a quick learner making you flexible to do different things with our often changing product and production environment.
Required skills and experience
- Experience in assembly of mechanical and/or electrical systems using hand tools in a low volume production environment.
- Demonstrate that you work to a high degree of quality, with good speed, to meet schedules.
- Ability to read and follow work instructions, engineering assembly drawings, and bills of materials.
- Good communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and also in teams.
- Working on site at our Alameda production facility.
Desire skills and experience
- Experience in building new product prototypes.
- Test experience: using tools to measure whether something meets specifications.
- Fault diagnosis: following a process to discover why something is not working.
- Workshop experience: drill/mill/lathe work, or Mig/TiG welding.
- Light composite fabrication experience.
- Electrical assembly, soldering.
- Engineering drawing or CAD work.
Location: This position is in Alameda, CA. Only candidates with proper permits to work in the United States can be considered. Our waterfront office offers beautiful views of San Francisco Bay in always sunny Alameda. Even our walls have good karma, our offices mix software development with a hardware production line in the former airplane hangar used to film 'The Matrix'.
- Medical, dental and vision plans for you and your dependents.
- Active sailing classes: become a certified skipper on boats up to 35ft! (once COVID safety allows)
- Short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building for SF residents
- Enhanced paternity / maternity programs
- Competitive benefits including excellent medical, discounted gym, life insurance, 401k plan
Catch up on the latest news about us:
- Saildrones are mapping the oceans (CNET May 2021)
- Gulfstream (April 2021)
- Saildrone Surveyor Launch (Jan 2021)
- Four autonomous vessels sailed the Arctic to more precisely map its seafloor(Oct 2020)
- Coast Guard Begins At-Sea Testing of Unmanned Surface Vehicles to Tackle Illegal Fishing, Crime (Oct 2020)
- Five Ways Saildrone’s ‘Satellites Of The Seas’ Could Transform Mauritius Oil Spill Response (Sept 2020)
- Due to COVID-19, NOAA Uses Drones Instead of Ships for Fishery Survey (June 2020)
- Or watch some of our videos: Bloomberg: The Robots Roaming the High Seas
Saildrone is an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our website or to personal email accounts of employees of Saildrone are considered property of Saildrone and are not subject to payment of agency fees.