Engineering | Alameda, CA | Full Time
Saildrone designs and manufactures wind and solar powered autonomous surface vehicles called Saildrones, which make cost-effective ocean data collection possible at scale. We are working with governments, civic agencies, foundations, universities, and private companies around the globe to drive better information about our oceans and seas - be it in mapping out the ocean floor, collecting new CO2 data in hard-to-reach areas, counting biomass to establish fishing quotas, or detecting and stopping illegal fishing and trafficking. We believe that better inputs in planetary models in turn yield better outputs and that the new insights gained in weather forecasting, carbon cycling, global fishing and climate change will have tremendous impact on humanity. We are based in Alameda, CA and are backed by Social Capital, The Capricorn Investment Group, Lux Capital, Horizons Venture and The Schmidt Family Foundation.
The person filling this position will support the hardware validation effort at the sensor, board, sub-assembly and assembly level. This includes writing software tools and scripts to interface with and test the assemblies, supporting our existing hardware test infrastructure and handing off these tools to others in the form of training and documentation. This individual will work with electrical/mechanical technicians, electrical and software engineers and production staff to ensure that tooling not only functions as expected, but is also easy to use by those without an engineering background.
B.S. in an engineering discipline (or equivalent experience), Electrical Engineering or Computer Science preferred
Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot and problem-solve across several engineering fields: mechanical, electrical and software
Linux, Python, BASH
Understanding of basic electrical engineering principles and test equipment: multimeter and power supply at minimum
- Experience with embedded systems and C/C++
- Software version control: Git or Perforce etc.
- Experience with PyTest, OpenHTF or other testing frameworks
- Knowledge of CAN, NMEA2000 and serial communication protocols like RS-232, RS-422 etc.
- Experience with writing or modifying GUIs
This position is in Alameda, CA. Only candidates with proper permits to work in the United States can be considered. Our waterfront office offers beautiful views of San Francisco Bay in always sunny Alameda. Even our walls have good karma, our offices mix software development with a hardware production line in the former airplane hangar used to film 'The Matrix'.
- Medical, dental and vision plans for you and your dependents
- Active sailing classes: become a certified skipper on boats up to 35ft! (once COVID safety allows)
- Short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building for SF residents
- Enhanced paternity / maternity programs
- Competitive benefits including excellent medical, discounted gym, life insurance, 401k plan
This is an exciting opportunity with a fast-growing post series-B startup at the cutting-edge intersection of big data services and autonomous hardware. You will be an integral part of a high-performing multi-disciplinary delivering high impact for humanity and future generations.
You can read the latest about us:
- Saildrone Surveyor Launch (Jan 2021)
- Washington Post: Four autonomous vessels sailed the Arctic to more precisely map its seafloor(Oct 2020)
- USNI: Coast Guard Begins At-Sea Testing of Unmanned Surface Vehicles to Tackle Illegal Fishing, Crime (Oct 2020)
- Forbes: Five Ways Saildrone’s ‘Satellites Of The Seas’ Could Transform Mauritius Oil Spill Response (Sept 2020)
- Maritime Executive: Due to COVID-19, NOAA Uses Drones Instead of Ships for Fishery Survey (June 2020)
- Or watch some of our videos: Bloomberg: The Robots Roaming the High Seas
Saildrone is an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our website or to personal email accounts of employees of Saildrone are considered property of Saildrone and are not subject to payment of agency fees.