Facilities Maintenance Specialist
Facilities | Alameda, CA | Full Time | From $79,400.00 to $119,100.00 per year
At Saildrone, we sustainably explore, map, and monitor the oceans to understand, protect, and preserve our world. We provide real-time access to critical data from any ocean on earth, 24/7/365, and use proprietary software applications to transform that data into actionable insights and intelligence. Our fleet of uncrewed surface vehicles (USVs), powered by renewable wind and solar power, have a minimal carbon footprint and operate without the need for a crewed support vessel. Saildrone works with governments, civil agencies, foundations, universities, and private companies around the globe to drive better information about our oceans and seas—from sailing into the eye of a category 4 hurricane to obtain new data about how storms intensify, collecting new CO2 data in hard-to-reach areas, and counting fish biomass to inform sustainable fishery management, to mapping the ocean floor and reducing illegal fishing and drug trafficking. As a result of our work, Saildrone has been included on Fast Company’s annual list of the World’s Most Innovative Companies, earned an Ocean Awards’ Innovation Award, won Best Tech For Good from the Timmy Awards, and was recognized by Andreessen Horowitz’s American Dynamism 50 list of the Top 50 Companies Kickstarting American Renewal. Our first-annual Atlantic hurricane mission with NOAA was included as one of The New York Times’ 21 Things That Happened for the First Time in 2021 and Popular Science's 100 Greatest Innovations of 2021.
We are based in Alameda, CA, with offices in Washington DC, St. Petersburg, FL, and Fall River, MA, and operate our missions worldwide. Saildrone is backed by top-tier investors in the frontier tech and sustainability sectors, including Social Capital, Capricorn, Lux Capital, BOND Capital, and Emerson Collective.
This is an exciting opportunity with a fast-growing team at the cutting-edge intersection of big data services and autonomous hardware. You will be an integral part of a high-performing multi-disciplinary delivering high impact for humanity and future generations.
The Facility Maintenance Specialist strategically supports the Saildrone’s goals by driving outcomes to support the Saildrone facility as well as its material handling and manufacturing equipment. The successful individual will possess extensive experience, this successful individual will report to the Director of Facilities and have extensive knowledge and abilities to carry out the hands-on repairs on a daily basis to critical equipment at the Alameda Saildrone HQ to minimize production and R+D interruptions.
- Manage inbound facilities requests on the help desk system for various needs and resolve. Must be able to sit and/or stand up to 8 hours while performing these tasks.
- Perform and/or supervise general maintenance and repair activities within the facility including but not limited to office equipment, furniture, and facilities manufacturing equipment.
- Occasionally lift objects weighing up to 75 lbs, prolonged standing and walking, climb, bend, stoop and reach for extensive periods of time while performing these tasks.
- Manage work performed by outside service providers such as janitorial, HVAC, data cabling, electrical, plumbing, etc...
- Manage the Facility's preventative maintenance schedule and track work performed with full understanding of a computerized maintenance management system (CMMS).
- Schedule work with and supervise outside service providers to perform equipment and furniture installations, repair work, moves, and emergency calls.
- Assist in employee moves and/or supervise vendor to perform work
- Support corporate event services, such as all-hands meeting set up and breakdown
- Track all employee locations within the office, and keep a live record of occupied/available seating
- Provide and install ergonomic equipment
- Order and stock facilities supplies including cleaning, ergo, filters, etc.
- Diagnose and perform mechanical and electrical repairs to Saildrone’s manufacturing and material handling equipment including but not limited to: forklifts, boom lifts, boat lifts, pumps, compressors, transport vehicles, and building infrastructure.
Required skills and experience
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in a manufacturing and/or R+D environment.
- Preferred Technical understanding of equipment and processes used in the composites industry.
- Strong technical background in building infrastructure, repairs and maintenance
- Ability and willingness to manage schedule and perform over time and/or after-hours work as needed
- Strong understanding of Lock Out/Tag Out (LOTO)
- Strong understanding of Job Hazard Analysis Risk Matrix.
Desired skills and experience
- Trade experience and/or equivalent certifications from trade school or program.
- Experience coordinating and partnering with Safety teams to support and enhance our EHS programs.
- Investigate hazards, near misses, and incidents with the goal of finding root causes and implementing ways to prevent a recurrence.
- Lead in-house emergency response activities (incident command, equipment, training, drills).
- Drive and manage site Safety Committee/ Emergency Response Team activities.
- Perform routine monthly site inspections to proactively address mechanical and infrastructure failures through the facility.
- In partnership with other teams, improving and refining the ergonomics program continues to provide a productive employee work environment and reduce risk.
- Possess electrical certifications
- Must be able to work outdoors for prolonged periods
Location: This position is in Alameda, CA. Only candidates with proper permits to work in the United States can be considered. Our waterfront office offers beautiful views of San Francisco Bay in always sunny Alameda. Even our walls have good karma, our offices mix software development with a hardware production line in the former airplane hangar used to film 'The Matrix'.
Medical, dental and vision plans for you and your dependents.
Short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building for SF residents
Enhanced paternity / maternity programs
Competitive benefits including excellent medical, life insurance, 401k plan
Catch up on the latest news about us:
- Saildrone's Journey Into Category 4 Hurricane Uncovers Clue Into Rapidly Intensifying Storms – FOX Weather (Dec. 16, 2021)
- Saildrone - Hurricane Sam Video - YouTube (Dec. 16, 2021)
- They Sailed Into a Hurricane, Now these Unmanned Saildrones are Seeking Data on Our Carbon Uptake – CNN (Dec. 9, 2021)
- Saildrone Catches a $100M C Breeze to Build More Robo-boats – TechCrunch (Oct. 18, 2021)
- With A Sight, Sound And Radar Picture, Saildrone Could Build An AI Database Of Everything In The Ocean – Forbes (Aug. 16, 2021)
- Changing Arctic Environment Could Also Change Technologies Needed to Protect It, Experts Say – SeaPower Magazine (Aug. 2, 2021)
- Autonomous Research Vehicle Completes Ocean Crossing from San Francisco to Hawaii – Hydro International (July 13, 2021)
- Saildrone Featured Videos Playlist
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
In accordance with Saildrone’s mandatory employee COVID-19 vaccination policy, please be advised that all employees are required to be vaccinated and boosted to safeguard the health of our employees and their families, our customers and visitors and the community at large.
Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our website or to personal email accounts of employees of Saildrone are considered property of Saildrone and are not subject to payment of agency fees.