Software Engineering | Alameda, CA | Full Time
Saildrone designs and manufactures wind and solar powered autonomous surface vehicles called saildrones, which make cost-effective ocean data collection possible at scale. We are busy building the world's largest high-resolution ocean datasets, working with governments and private companies around the globe. We believe that better inputs in planetary models in turn yield better outputs and that the new insights gained in weather forecasting, carbon cycling, global fishing and climate change will have tremendous impact on humanity. We are based in Alameda, CA and are backed by Social Capital, The Capricorn Investment Group, Lux Capital and The Schmidt Family Foundation.
About the Role
Our Saildrone vehicles operate in one of the harshest environments on the planet, sending back consistent, high-quality data, on extreme duration missions. While each Saildrone vehicle is incredibly robust, we also need a back-end and server-side infrastructure that is equally robust to support our drone network and data repositories.
We are in search of an energetic and dynamic DevOps Engineer to join our team. In this role, you will be part a talented, collaborative group at the forefront of exciting new ventures in the autonomous vehicle space. The DevOps Engineer lives within the Operations Engineering team and will work on scaling the Saildrone software platforms through automation, tooling, and system optimization. They will work closely with engineering teams across the company to build highly available, low latency, and efficient services. Familiarity with running production environments at scale is crucial in this role along with an in-depth understanding of Unix systems internals, ci/cd workflows, and containerization.
- Influence and create new designs, architectures, standards, and methods for supporting the Saildrone platform.
- Implement and deliver solutions to improve the availability, scalability, latency, and efficiency of our services. Solve complex problems for critical services and build automation to prevent problem recurrence.
- Maintain and enhance CI/CD process
- Engage in service capacity planning and demand forecasting, software performance analysis, and system tuning.
- Work cross-functionally with the platform data, vehicle, and weather science teams.
- Deep expertise with Linux based operating systems.
- Experience building high-quality distributed systems or backend services on top of AWS.
- Experience managing Kubernetes environments and migrations.
- Experience with monitoring and logging tools such as Prometheus, Statsd or ELK.
- 3 years of experience in network operations (e.g. TCP/IP, UDP, ICMP, etc., MAC addresses, IP Packets, DNS, OSI layers, and Load Balancing).
- Experience with agile software development practices and processes preferred.
- Medical, dental and vision plans for you and your dependents
- Healthy lunch program provided onsite
- Active sailing classes: become a certified skipper on boats up to 35ft!
- Fun team activities including our famous monthly social taxiway BBQ
- Waterfront office, a former airplane hangar that was once used to film 'The Matrix'
- Short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building for SF residents
- Enhanced paternity / maternity programs
- Competitive benefits including discounted gym, life insurance, 401k plan
This is an exciting new opportunity to drive your function at a fast-growing post series-B startup at the cutting-edge intersection of big data services and autonomous hardware. You will be an integral part of an A+ multi-disciplinary team scaling a high-performance business while delivering high impact for humanity and future generations.
Our waterfront office offers beautiful views over San Francisco Bay in always sunny Alameda. Your commute could be a short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building. Even our walls have good karma, our offices mixing software development with a hardware production line in the former airplane hangar that was once used to film 'The Matrix'.
You can read what the press says about us:
Or watch the Saildrone mission being presented the TED stage
Saildrone is an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our website or to personal email accounts of employees of Saildrone are considered property of Saildrone and are not subject to payment of agency fees.