Software Engineering | Alameda, CA | Full Time
Saildrone designs and manufactures wind and solar powered autonomous surface vehicles called Saildrones, which make cost-effective ocean data collection possible at scale. We are working with governments, civic agencies, foundations, universities, and private companies around the globe to drive better information about our oceans and seas - be it in mapping out the ocean floor, collecting new CO2 data in hard-to-reach areas, counting biomass to establish fishing quotas, or detecting and stopping illegal fishing and trafficking. We believe that better inputs in planetary models in turn yield better outputs and that the new insights gained in weather forecasting, carbon cycling, global fishing and climate change will have tremendous impact on humanity. We are based in Alameda, CA and are backed by Social Capital, The Capricorn Investment Group, Lux Capital, Horizons Venture and The Schmidt Family Foundation.
DevOps engineer working closely with multi-functional engineering teams responsible for Saildrone’s vehicle systems. This position is responsible for building, maintaining and improving several systems and workflows:
- Systems required to develop, manage and test the vehicle operating systems and camera driven ML systems.
- Workflows for the vehicle communications systems infrastructure.
This position includes common DevOps tasks such as improving workflows through automation, optimizing systems or tooling and developing CI/CD processes to improve business function.
Compiling Linux kernels & Cross compilation practices
Deep understanding of Linux
Skills in scripting languages, particularly Python and shell
Excellent debugging skills
Deep experience with CI/CD pipelines for compiled software & a history of automating and optimizing workflows
Fluency in SCM (e.g. Perforce, Git) and build systems (e.g. make, cmake, bazel)
Experience with VMware and building virtual machines.
Experience working with containers (Docker).
Moderate experience with AWS.
Experience with ML training, tooling and workflows.
Experience with Infrastructure as code tooling such as Packer, Terraform, Ansible, Salt.
Experience running workloads on Kubernetes
Moderate experience with network operations (e.g. TCP/IP, UDP, ICMP, etc., MAC addresses, IP Packets, DNS, OSI layers, and Load Balancing)
This position is in Alameda, CA. Only candidates with proper permits to work in the United States can be considered. Our waterfront office offers beautiful views of San Francisco Bay in always sunny Alameda. Even our walls have good karma, our offices mix software development with a hardware production line in the former airplane hangar used to film 'The Matrix'.
- Medical, dental and vision plans for you and your dependents
- Active sailing classes: become a certified skipper on boats up to 35ft! (once COVID safety allows)
- Short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building for SF residents
- Enhanced paternity / maternity programs
- Competitive benefits including excellent medical, life insurance, 401k plan
This is an exciting opportunity with a fast-growing post series-B startup at the cutting-edge intersection of big data services and autonomous hardware. You will be an integral part of a high-performing multi-disciplinary delivering high impact for humanity and future generations.
You can read the latest about us:
- Saildrone Surveyor Launch (Jan 2021)
- Washington Post: Four autonomous vessels sailed the Arctic to more precisely map its seafloor(Oct 2020)
- USNI: Coast Guard Begins At-Sea Testing of Unmanned Surface Vehicles to Tackle Illegal Fishing, Crime (Oct 2020)
- Forbes: Five Ways Saildrone’s ‘Satellites Of The Seas’ Could Transform Mauritius Oil Spill Response (Sept 2020)
- Maritime Executive: Due to COVID-19, NOAA Uses Drones Instead of Ships for Fishery Survey (June 2020)
- Or watch some of our videos: Bloomberg: The Robots Roaming the High Seas
Saildrone is an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our website or to personal email accounts of employees of Saildrone are considered property of Saildrone and are not subject to payment of agency fees.