Data Pipeline Engineer
Software Engineering | Alameda, CA | Full Time
Saildrone designs and manufactures wind and solar-powered autonomous surface vehicles called saildrones, which make cost-effective ocean data collection possible at scale. We are busy building the world's largest high-resolution ocean datasets, working with governments and private companies around the globe. We believe that better inputs in planetary models in turn yield better outputs and that the new insights gained in weather forecasting, carbon cycling, global fishing and climate change will have a tremendous impact on humanity. We are based in Alameda, CA and are backed by Horizons Ventures, Social Capital, The Capricorn Investment Group, Lux Capital and The Schmidt Family Foundation.
About The Role
We are in search of a Senior Platform Engineer - Data. You will be joining a talented, collaborative team at the forefront of exciting new ventures in the autonomous vehicle space. You will work with top emerging technologies and tools for data storage, processing, and analytics, and build crucial services for our data-centered company.
- Work with customers, PIs and other Engineers to define and document data needs
- Define and develop services to effectively quality assurance of time-series data
- Ensure the data we collect and eventually deliver to customers is of the highest quality
- Own data transformation and delivery, from raw transactional storage to structured output files to data warehouse
- Ensure data is highly scalable, available and accurate
- Develop and promote data management best practices
- Perform ad hoc data analysis, data processing and data visualization
- B.S., M.S. or Ph.D. in Computer Science or similar applied technical field and 5+ years relevant industry experience
- Experience working with distributed frameworks such as Spark or Hadoop and data warehousing systems such as Redshift or BigQuery
- Experience with building secure, scalable RESTful APIs
- Experience working with real-world sensor data, science-grade preferred
- Practical, hands-on experience working with SQL and running Hadoop and/or Spark jobs
- Operational experience with databases or data warehouses
- Good communication skills to work with Physical Scientists, Data Scientists, Business Development, Machine Learning Engineers
- A passion for Saildrone's mission
- Medical, dental and vision plans for you and your dependents
- Healthy lunch program provided onsite
- Active sailing classes: become a certified skipper on boats up to 35ft!
- Fun team activities including our famous monthly social taxiway BBQ
- Waterfront office, a former airplane hangar that was once used to film 'The Matrix'
- Short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building for SF residents
- Enhanced paternity/maternity programs
- Competitive benefits including discounted gym, life insurance, 401k plan
This is an exciting new opportunity to drive your function at a fast-growing post series-B startup at the cutting edge intersection of big data services and autonomous hardware. You will be an integral part of an A+ multi-disciplinary team scaling a high-performance business while delivering high impact for humanity and future generations.
Our waterfront office offers beautiful views over San Francisco Bay in always sunny Alameda. Your commute could be a short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building. Even our walls have good karma, our offices mixing software development with a hardware production line in the former airplane hangar that was once used to film 'The Matrix'.
You can read what the press says about us:
Bloomberg - This armada of drones could conquer the oceans
Inc - The most exciting drones aren't in the air, they are in the oceans
The New York Times - No sailors needed: robot sailboats scour the oceans for data
NOAA - Adaptable and driven by renewable energy, saildrones voyage into remote waters
The Economist - Sailing the wired seas
Or watch the Saildrone mission being presented the TED stage
Saildrone is an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our website or to personal email accounts of employees of Saildrone are considered the property of Saildrone and are not subject to payment of agency fees.