Hardware Engineering | Alameda, CA | Full Time
Saildrone designs and manufactures wind and solar-powered autonomous surface vehicles called saildrones, which make cost-effective ocean data collection possible at scale. We are busy building the world's largest high-resolution ocean datasets, working with governments and private companies around the globe. We believe that better inputs in planetary models in turn yield better outputs and that the new insights gained in weather forecasting, carbon cycling, global fishing and climate change will have a tremendous impact on humanity. We are based in Alameda, CA and are backed by Horizons Ventures, Social Capital, The Capricorn Investment Group, Lux Capital and The Schmidt Family Foundation.
About The Role
We are seeking full-time Composite Technicians with a demonstrated eye for detail to join our drone production team. Responsibilities will include all aspects of composite drone manufacturing, from individual components to assembly and finishing. This is an active, standing role requiring some lifting and occasional exposure to noise and VOCs. Some sanding of cured epoxy composites, application of ablative coatings, and solvent-based mold release agents is required. PPE is provided for these activities.
- Must demonstrate an understanding of “best practices” in composite manufacturing
- Must have direct experience in composites manufacture techniques including (1) Prepreg layup, cure cycles and storage requirements, (2) Wet-layup, (3) Infusion, (4) Bladder molding, (5) Vacuum bagging, (6) Mold prep and painting, (7) Part trimming and finishing
- The following skills are a big plus: (1) shop tool experience including drills, saws (band saw, chop saw, skill saw), Dremel, pneumatic trimming tools (2) experience with cure cycles and oven operation/monitoring (3) Polyethylene (PET) repair/welding
- Additional skills related to finishing tasks - fairing, sanding and finish work on various types of materials.
- Must possess a hands-on, 'can-do' attitude
- Willingness to learn new skills and ambition to make high quality, transformational products
- Willingness to work in a team environment
- Marine and boating experience a plus
- A passion for Saildrone's mission
- Medical, dental and vision plans for you and your dependents
- Healthy lunch program provided onsite
- Active sailing classes: become a certified skipper on boats up to 35ft!
- Fun team activities including our famous monthly social taxiway BBQ
- Waterfront office, a former airplane hangar that was once used to film 'The Matrix'
- Short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building for SF residents
- Enhanced paternity/maternity programs
- Competitive benefits including discounted gym, life insurance, 401k plan
This is an exciting new opportunity to drive your function at a fast-growing post series-B startup at the cutting edge intersection of big data services and autonomous hardware. You will be an integral part of an A+ multi-disciplinary team scaling a high-performance business while delivering high impact for humanity and future generations.
Our waterfront office offers beautiful views over San Francisco Bay in always sunny Alameda. Your commute could be a short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building. Even our walls have good karma, our offices mixing software development with a hardware production line in the former airplane hangar that was once used to film 'The Matrix'.
You can read what the press says about us:
Bloomberg - This armada of drones could conquer the oceans
Inc - The most exciting drones aren't in the air, they are in the oceans
The New York Times - No sailors needed: robot sailboats scour the oceans for data
NOAA - Adaptable and driven by renewable energy, saildrones voyage into remote waters
The Economist - Sailing the wired seas
Or watch the Saildrone mission being presented the TED stage
Saildrone is an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our website or to personal email accounts of employees of Saildrone are considered the property of Saildrone and are not subject to payment of agency fees.