Veterinary Practice Manager
Veterinarian Office | Mattoon, IL Store | Full Time
Job Title: Practice Manager
Reports To: On-site Veterinarian and Corporate Manager
Job Location: Country Critters Veterinary Clinic
FLSA Status: Hourly, Non-Exempt
The Practice Manager will oversee all operations at the hospital. He/she must hold the highest regard for maintaining a healthy, safe, and cohesive work environment while also maintaining legal and ethical continuity within the practice. He/she will lead by example and maintain a professional demeanor at all times. The Practice Manager is responsible for the success of the hospital in the following areas: benchmarking; client and staff retention; productivity; and profitability.
JOB DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Understand and apply the legal implications in the hiring process. Hire all staff and maintain a pool of qualified applicants to maintain an optimal staffing level at all times.
- Handle fair and consistent discipline to employees as necessary as well as all related documentation.
- Responsible for discharging or firing of staff members as well as understanding the legal implications during the process while making decisions accordingly.
- Handle or oversee all staff scheduling promoting the best use of staff during peak hours as well as compensating the schedule for slower times.
- Prepare and deliver employee evaluations and keep documentation in the employee files.
- Create an educational plan for each individual employee annually along with the budgeting needs of the plan. Ensure that credentialed employees are meeting their educational requirements.
- Implement and oversee all training programs related to employee training, including employee development, safety, OSHA, chemotherapy, biomedical, and radiation training as well as all related documentation.
- Plan and conduct all staff meetings.
- Cover positions in the event of vacancies.
- Set up and maintain the components of the staff benefit program.
- Monitor production and AR totals for each veterinarian. Consult and coach veterinarians as needed on areas where improvement can be achieved.
- Monitor staff productivity
- Create, adjust and update procedures and protocols with veterinarians input as necessary to assure patient care and comfort meets the hospital standards.
- Oversee appointment scheduling to accommodate caseloads and ensure client needs are being met.
- Continually review and modify systems and procedures to ensure optimal service to clients.
- Carry out or delegate organization of all client correspondence including reminders, statements, thank you cards, welcome cards, call backs, etc.
- Meet with sales persons to keep up with clinics professional relationships and to be educated on available new products.
- Handle all purchasing of inventory within the budgeting guidelines.
- Maintain appropriate levels of “quantity on hand”, “reorder level”, and “reorder quantity” in the veterinary software.
- Oversee the maintenance of the controlled drug logs in accordance with DEA regulations.
- Set protocols that support the best use of hospital supplies to minimize waste.
- Oversee the computer ordering and receiving process of drugs and supplies.
- Financial Management
- Carry out or delegate the daily sales reports and deposits.
- Track and measure income and income categories; watch trends and troubleshoot concerns.
- Have very tight control over expenses as they are related to income.
- Create and maintain the use of a hospital budget based on the Well-Managed Practice Series numbers.
- Meet with on-site veterinarians and corporate manager to discuss, evaluate and plan for the continued success of the business. A 1-year plan; 3-year plan, and 5-year plan should be maintained and revisited frequently.
- May be required to perform other duties
EDUCATION AND LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS
- Four-year college degree desirable but not required.
- C.V.P.M. desirable but not required.
- Typing skills required.
- Computer knowledge required; comfortable with Word, Excel, and use of communication tools such as email.
- Significant experience within a veterinary hospital REQUIRED, preferably as a practice manager. Technician background desirable but not required.
- Customer Service background required.
- The Practice Manager must be able to:
- Be flexible in work scheduling as the needs of the hospital are ever-changing. Be available by cell phone most times.
- Be attentive to the supportive needs of staff as individuals in the quest to build a team environment.
- Be able to handle stress and maintain a professional demeanor at all times.
- Lead by example.
- Physical Effort: Work requires lifting and carrying records and equipment weighing up to 25 lbs; requires sitting and standing for extended periods or time.
- Working conditions: May be exposed to unpleasant odors, noises and animal feces. May be exposed to bites, scratches and contagious diseases.
MACHINES AND EQUIPMENT USED:
- General office equipment such as telephone, copy machine, fax machine, calculator, computer
- Good visual acuity and ability to communicate
- Ability to sit and/or stand for long periods of time
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.