Transportation Operations Planner
Transportation / DC / Truck Driving | Mattoon, IL Corporate Office | Full Time
Job Title: Operations Planner, Rural King Transportation
Reports To: Director of Transportation
Job Location: Mattoon, IL
FLSA Status: Exempt
Exempt Classification: Administrative
This position will manage and coordinate the Driver Manager team to increase company profitability and customer satisfaction by effectively managing the day to day operations of our private fleet. The Operations Planner will be planning all freight out of our Distribution Centers as well as any other outside freight to create a daily run list and ensure that all freight is delivered timely, efficiently, safely and in the most cost-effective way possible.
Job Duties and Essential Functions:
- Responsible for efficient and cost effective scheduling and deliveries and routing of Rural King trucks.
- Communicate daily plan clearly to the Driver Manager team as well as our stores and other customers.
- Use discretion and Independent judgement in making decisions.
- Schedule pickups of returned materials from the stores.
- Coordinate with the driver managers any driver issues to create a plan for load recovery.
- Seek outside line hauls from vendors or carriers to eliminate driving with empty miles and to build on the profitability of Rural King Transportation.
- Provide customer service and satisfaction to our stores.
- Ensure that all DOT regulations are followed.
- Help monitor driver performance and discipline.
- Help conduct road test and interviews for driver candidates and participate in the driver on boarding process.
- Work closely with safety and HR to perform driver coaching's and other safety and HR communications to our fleet.
- Work closely with maintenance to ensure our equipment is safe and DOT compliant and driver maintenance issues are resolved.
- Strong team work and communication skills.
- Prior Transportation Planning Experience is preferred
- Prior TMW or other Dispatch Software Experience is preferred
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to work in high pressure situations
- Superior organizational skills and the ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Manage time effectively and adapt quickly to change in priorities
- Accuracy and Attention to Detail
- Able to work independently with some direction
- Able to read a map and accurately plan a route
- Problem solve and analytical ability
- Working knowledge of Department of Transportation rules and regulations preferred
- Manage Driver Manager Team
Machines and Equipment Used:
- TMW will be used for planning software
- PC Miler
- Microsoft Office
- Will have a company Cell Phone and be on call