Corporate | Mattoon, IL Distribution Cntr | Full Time
Rural King has 63 retail stores located in 7 states. We are a farm and home retailer with departments in automotive, agriculture, clothing, pets, housewares, toys and lawn & garden. Our corporate office is located in Mattoon IL and we employ approximately 3800 associates.
This position represents the Company in providing general legal support to the Company's finance department, including legal advice related to tax compliance, planning and research. This position may also support the Company in connection with protests, refund claims, lawsuits and other tax litigation. The ultimate objective of this position is to minimize the exposure of the Company in any such tax matters. Advises and consults with managers and other departments on tax issues, and educates internal associates on proactive measures and approaches to reducing all potential tax exposure.
Job Duties and Essential Functions
- Draft, negotiate and interpret tax-related contracts, resolutions, agreements and other legal documentation, including documentation for restructurings and other tax planning, related corporate resolutions, intercompany business combination and loan agreements, set up of legal entities, and related agreements, etc.
Advise various departments and managers on a diverse range of tax issues, including payroll and employment tax matters, tax aspects of mergers and acquisitions matters, ownership and disposition of real property.
- Perform corporate and personal tax research and draft related technical tax memoranda
- File various tax returns
- May draft protests, appeals and similar documents with various government agencies
- Partners with other departments on company initiatives
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Competencies
- Proven analytical, organizational and project management skills
- Experience drafting and interpreting tax contracts and other tax-related legal documents
- High degree of oral and written communications skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team-oriented environment
- Ability to work independently on numerous activities and prioritize them properly while meeting deadlines
- The ability to confront conflict and difficult issues in a professional, assertive and proactive manner
- Self-starting ability to aggressively tackle new responsibilities and initiatives
- Under regular pressure to meet multiple deadlines and/or must frequently deal with difficult issues related to people or situations
- The completion of a Juris Doctor or equivalent and required certifications for practicing law
- 7 years relevant work experience
- Technical expertise in corporate tax law and general corporate law
- L.L.M. in Taxation is preferred, but not required
- CPA certification and in-house experience is a plus
- Familiarity with domestic and international tax principles
- Must be eighteen years of age or older
- Must pass pre-employment Drug Test and background check
Physical Job Requirements
Most of the time is spent sitting in a comfortable position and there is frequent opportunity to move about. On rare occasions there may be a need to move or lift light articles.
No Direct Reports