Legal | Mattoon, IL Corporate Office | Full Time
Job Title: Paralegal
Job Location: Store Support Center, Mattoon, IL
Reports to: Corporate Attorney
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt Hourly
The paralegal will work directly with our corporate attorneys to research law, investigate facts, and prepare documents.
JOB DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Assist Corporate Counsel on legal research projects in multiple jurisdictions
- Keep abreast of developments and status of assigned cases with working knowledge and analysis of facts and issues
- Prepare and review various documents, including contracts
- Responsible for highly specialized and complex assignments requiring a high level of independence
- Gather factual information and perform legal research that is not available through routine sources and requires deviation from established procedures
- Exercise discretion and independent judgment by assisting with review of discovery and culmination of responses to third parties.
- Prepare and maintain corporate and LLC organizational documents, actions, resolutions, and approvals
- Initiate and maintain corporate and LLC entity registration, qualifications and annual reports in multiple jurisdictions
- Assist with all aspects of third-party financing arrangements
- Serve as an initial point of contact for internal clients on legal and regulatory questions and matters, and complete and file necessary paperwork to resolve regulatory or licensing issues.
- Coordinate with existing and prospective lenders regarding identification, preparation, and maintenance of loan documents for properties and other projects
- Assist Corporate Counsel, and outside counsel as required, to initiate and respond to litigation and administrative pleadings and discovery requests
- Assist Corporate Counsel and coordinate with internal clients regarding IP registration, licensing, and protection in the U.S. and international jurisdictions
- Monitor, file, coordinate and assist with property tax appeals
- May be required to cross train and perform other duties, such as:
- Assist Corporate Counsel in all aspects of real estate acquisitions and dispositions, including title review, document review, and closings
- Assist business development personnel on various issues
- Initiate, coordinate and monitor entity business licensing and renewals in multiple jurisdictions
- 2 years of relevant paralegal experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Paralegal certificate preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal oversight.
- Experience and proficient in MS Office Suite
- Demonstrated self-starter, critical thinker, good listener, ability to work well with others and teams, and ability to work under pressure at a fast pace
- Experience and proficiency using Westlaw or equivalent online program
- Ability to participate in our online applicant and new hire onboarding process remotely
- Ability to complete computer-based training
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.