Corporate | Mattoon, IL Corporate Office | Full Time
Founded in 1960, Rural King is a third-generation family-owned business aggressively positioning itself for the future. The foundation is strong and the vision for the future is growth. This, coupled with Rural King’s friendly, down-to-earth atmosphere and “Positively Outrageous Customer Service,” makes Rural King a very exciting and attractive career opportunity.
Develops and maintains economical and efficient transportation service for the organization and its customers, including the rating and routing of inbound and outbound shipments where the organization bears the costs of transportation. Coordinates the routing of outgoing and incoming shipments for which the organization assumes responsibility or which affect organization costs or the stores satisfaction.
Keeps informed of current transportation facilities and rates to assure economical and efficient transportation service to the organization and stores. Develops and maintains contacts with responsible executives of air, motor or rail carriers to promote mutual understanding and further the organizations interests. Processes or reviews claims against carriers for shipping losses or damages in transit. Reviews of freight and express bills to correct rates and extensions and process over-charge claims. Analyzes causes of excessive demurrage to recommend possible remedies. Conducts transportation cost studies relating to expansion of new stores and distribution centers.
Job Title: Logistics Coordinator
Reports To: Director of Logistics
Job Location: Rural King Corporate
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
This position will support the routing of freight inbound to Rural King distribution centers and Rural King stores. The Logistics team strives to route orders efficiently while continuing to keep shipping costs down without jeopardizing the timeliness of product’s arrival. Inbound orders ship within the United States and overseas.
JOB DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Negotiate rates and arrange shipping with contracted carriers for inbound orders
- Enter shipments into a PO Management system
- Work with suppliers by obtaining necessary routing information and providing routing instructions
- Rate LTL/Partial shipments to provide the most cost effective and efficient routing
- Communicate with Purchasing, Operations and Warehousing to update on status of inbound freight
- Partner with Rural King’s private fleet to coordinate backhauls for their trucks
- Confirm deliveries are made on scheduled dates
- Track shipments until final delivery is confirmed
- Work on new projects with Purchasing to help uncover freight savings
- Research and approve discrepancies on freight invoices
- Recruit trucking companies to further develop our approved carrier base
- Assist with booking, tracking, and tracing of import orders
- Assist in the collection of import documents and assist with wire transfers to overseas vendors
- Previous logistics experience preferred
- Negotiation experience
- Ability to prioritize and multitask assignments
- Experience with Microsoft Excel
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced environment
- Eager to learn and advance in a growing organization
MACHINES AND EQUIPMENT USED:
- Microsoft Office
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.