Inventory Planner / Business Analyst
Corporate Office | Mattoon, IL Distribution Cntr | Full Time
Job Title: Inventory Planner
Job Location: Corporate Office in Mattoon, IL
FLSA Status: Hourly Non-Exempt
Drive sales, margin, and turn in individual stores through rigorous analysis of the business and identification of local and regional opportunities. Make assortment-related recommendations to the buyers and VP of Purchasing. Planner will specialize by class and carry responsibility for all stores. Develop and execute inventory plans by managing inventory flow based on sales and opportunity.
JOB DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
Conduct in-depth weekly review of the business by store to drive sales. Include specific opportunities (e.g. sales/stock relationships, under-performance) and recommend actions to be taken.
- Drive sales through rigorous analysis of weekly reports across all stores. Identify sales and profit improvement opportunities and develop action plans to address them.
- Sales and stock reports: receipts, margin, on order, units on hand and sell through,
- Weekly reports: clearance, BVED, Key item, Volume drivers
- Identify underperforming areas and recommend actions to the buyer and VP of Purchasing.
- Review Compass/Epicor and work with the buyers to drive sales through changes in current replenishment product, assortment, and size strategies.
- Meet with vendor coordinators regarding assortment, size, matrix, quantity needs, and adjustments.
- Review advertised items for upcoming sales and report stock issues to buying office for resolution.
- Identify stores that are over or under inventoried and action needed by dept, class and item to resolve inventory issues.
Execute Inventory plan as determined through between Buyer and Planner.
- Write purchase orders and confirm and coordinate deliveries with vendor
- Identify and enforce accountability plan with vendors not meeting ship dates
- Identify backorders and mis-shipments and compensate merchandise plan accordingly
- Identify most cost effective freight flow including internal supply-chain impacts
- Process Special Orders or execute inventory increases for specific customer or store needs.
Provide input to inform preseason buying strategy
- Assist with preseason strategy development and vendor planning
- Identify missed opportunities from previous season as it corresponds to lost sales due to Out Of Stock and over inventory impacts to business
- Use analysis, input from regional managers, buyers, and management, and customer insight to recommend actions based on preferences and trends to drive sales.
Analyze vendor performance at store level
- Analyze vendor performance by store, taking into account input from Regional Managers, and recommend vendor modifications.
- Recommend vendor sku modification according to individual store performance
Recommend assortment/allocation changes according to store volume
- Preview initial assortment plan and provide call cuts to better drive sales.
- Recommend adjustments based on trends from last season and local strategy.
- Provide callouts on sizing.
- Provide input on optimal size pack by FOB/Vendor by store.
- Provide specific, timely in-season recommendations
Analyze space productivity and recommend changes in space allocations to Store Planning team to drive sales
- Identify sales and inventory per sq ft for in-season, off-season, and year
- Identify opportunities to merchandise performing categories into higher traffic zones underperforming
- Maximize planogram performance through optimized product placement
- Maintain current floor plans with accurate square footage data by store and conduct seasonal space allocation review.
- Determine incremental sku performance for layout adjustments at store level
- Recommend space allocation changes for in-season adjustments based on trends, vendor shifts, promotional issues, etc.
- Recommend long-term space allocation changes that may or may not involve other departments/categories.
- Recommend changes to general allocation of space that might be in response to trends, vendor shifts, promotional issues, etc.
- Review capacity issues. Determine vendor adds and edits based on merchant team guidelines.
Provide input on/evaluate local marketing for stores
- Evaluate and recommend sales opportunities for special events.
- Evaluate the results of special events as it regards to achievement of goal.
- Identify missed opportunities from last season.
- Coordinate with buying teams to decide which products to market differently.
May be required to perform other duties.
- 1-2 years of experience in retail buying or planning preferred
- Sales driven, passionate, and committed to excellence and high standards
- Demonstrated strong leadership skills
- Results-oriented with a strong sense of urgency
- Effective fact-based negotiator who drives for results
- Demonstrates strong listening, written, and oral communication skills
- Strong math and analytical skills, with a focus on results.
- Able to independently organize and prioritize workloads to meet deadlines
- Demonstrates logical analysis and problem-solving skills
- Exhibits an entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for results
- Good visual acuity and ability to communicate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.