Category Manager - Sporting Goods
Purchasing | Mattoon, IL Corporate Office | Full Time
Job Title: Category Manager - Sporting Goods
Job Location: Store Support Center, Mattoon, IL
Reports to: Vice President of Purchasing
FLSA Status: Salaried Exempt
Exempt Classification: Administrative
The Category Manager owns and drives all facets of product assortment, financial planning and vendor partnerships of the category with strong collaboration with their integrated cross-functional team.
JOB DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- o Develop strong vendor partnerships
- o Partner with suppliers on product development, as well as the Global Sourcing department on private product label development, as needed
- o Responsible for program management of co-op, vendor allowances, and promotional strategies
- o Negotiate all pricing, vendor terms, and opportunity buys and FREE GOODS
- Oversee and manage communication with Stores and Distribution Centers
- o Partner with Logistics and DC for most efficient flow of product to stores
- o Visit RK Stores to establish open communication and understanding store challenges
- o Stay abreast of market dynamics and competition
- o Manage pricing, sales, and profit margin of products to plan
- o Identify new opportunities to deliver products the customer wants and needs
- o Conduct category reviews as needed (2-3 per year)
- o Develop seasonal merchandise assortments along with pricing and merchandising plans
- o Place, track and insure complete and on-time delivery of all new store orders
- o Provide Inventory Analyst with problems that need analysis, improvement or change.
- o Review recommendations from Inventory Analysts and determine direction and appropriate action.
- o Partner with Inventory Analyst to monitor and react to seasonal product performance.
- o Maintain detailed current knowledge of sales, inventory and profit trends for your area
- o Generate and leverage reports for effective decision making
- o Complete assortment planning and product lifecycles
- o Collaborate to create financial plans (open to buy) that will align with organizational goals
- o Optimize "in stock" on basic items by collaborating with your designated replenishment specialists/partner
- o Identify poor performing items and categories and reduce inventory and liabilities
- o Partner with an Inventory Analyst to determine sales, inventory and turn goals including preseason flow plans and projections
- Advertising and Promotion
- o Develop and submits advertising and promotional plans that deliver increases in sales and store traffic per the advertising process, pricing policy and timelines
- o Ensure accuracy of print advertising and product in stock to 98.5%
- o Collaborate with the Digital Aisle Team to identify assortment, placement, promotions, and marketing strategies to drive sales and profits. This is a core responsibility and should be a major focus
- Store Planning
- o Provide timely direction on new SKU’s and new programs to Store Planning to develop and maintain accurate planograms per the Store Planning process and timelines
- o Ensure planograms are appropriate to volume and space of stores and grouped for volume levels
- Team Leadership
- o Lead the team to drive sales, manage inventory, and achieve the financial goals of the department
- o Create and communicate a strategic vision for the department, including visual merchandising strategies
- Use general office equipment.
- Frequently operate keyboard to enter in information.
- Sit/stand/walk for long periods of time.
- Verbally communicate effectively with others (in-person and via electronic devices).
- May be required to cross train and perform other duties.
- 3-5 years of multi-unit purchasing experience
- Strong knowledge of purchasing systems
- Intermediate to advanced experience with Microsoft Excel spreadsheets
- Proven strong negotiation skills
- Strong communication, presentation and analytical skills
- Knowledge of the categories is required
- Ability to participate in our online applicant and new hire onboarding process remotely
- Ability to complete computer-based training
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
My signature confirms that I have reviewed and agree with this job description.