Category Manager - Livestock, Feed and Supplies, Animal Health
Corporate | Mattoon, IL Corporate Office | Full Time
Job Title: Category Manager - Livestock, Feed and Supplies, Animal Health
Reports To: Vice President of Purchasing
Job Location: Store Support Center in Mattoon, IL
FLSA Status: Salaried Exempt
Exempt Classification: Administrative
Our buying team is instrumental in making a difference in the lives of our customer. Our Buyers put amazing, inspiring, well priced product into our customers’ hands every day. They generate ideas and raise the bar on a continual basis. They are leaders who inspire and empower others to achieve great success. The Buyer owns and drives all facets of product assortment, financial planning and vendor partnerships of the category with strong collaboration with their integrated cross-functional team.
JOB DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Develop strong vendor partnerships
- Partner with suppliers on product development, as well as the Global Sourcing department on private product label development, as needed
- Responsible for program management of co-op, vendor allowances, and promotional strategies
- Negotiate all pricing, vendor terms, and opportunity buys
- Oversee and manage communication with Stores and Distribution Centers
- Partner with Logistics and DC for most efficient flow of product to stores
- Visit RK Stores to establish open communication and understanding store challenges
- Stay abreast of market dynamics and competition
- Manage pricing, sales, and profit margin of products to plan
- Identify new opportunities to deliver products the customer wants and needs
- Conduct category reviews as needed (2-3 per year)
- Develop seasonal merchandise assortments along with pricing and merchandising plans
- Place, track and insure complete and on-time delivery of all new store orders
- Provide Inventory Analyst with problems that need analysis, improvement or change.
- Review recommendations from Inventory Analysts and determine direction appropriate action.
- Partner with Inventory Analyst to monitor and react to seasonal product performance.
- Maintain detailed current knowledge of sales, inventory and profit trends for your area
- Generate and leverage reports for effective decision making
- Complete assortment planning and product lifecycles
- Collaborate to create financial plans (open to buy) that will align with organizational goals
- Optimize "in stock" on basic items
- Identify poor performing items and categories and reduce inventory and liabilities
- Partner with an Inventory Analyst to determine sales, inventory and turn goals including preseason flow plans and projections
- Advertising and Promotion
- Develop and submits advertising and promotional plans that deliver increases in sales and store traffic
- Ensure accuracy of print advertising and product in stock
- Collaborate with eCommerce Merchandiser to identify assortment, placement, promotions, and marketing strategies
- Effectively visually merchandise the category and drive sales through merchandising
- Create the planograms with the store planning team
- Maintain and update planograms for stores
- Ensure planograms are appropriate to volume and space of stores and grouped for volume levels
- Lead the team to drive sales, manage inventory, and achieve the financial goals of the department
- Educate Assistant Buyers on analyzing, buying, inventory management, open-to-buy, imports, logistics, including additional areas as needed
- Create and communicate a strategic vision for the department, including visual merchandising strategies
- 3-5 years of multi-unit purchasing experience
- Strong knowledge of purchasing systems
- Intermediate to advanced experience with Microsoft Excel spreadsheets
- Strong communication and analytical skills
- Knowledge of the categories is beneficial but not required.
- Good visual acuity and ability to communicate.
- Repetitive wrist movements on keyboard
- Close vision for PC work
- Ability to sit/stand/walk for long periods of time
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.