User Experience Designer I (UXD)
Engineering | Remote or Hybrid | Full Time
Job Summary / Objective
The UX Designer I is responsible for assisting in all aspects of the Design Thinking process. From gathering customer empathy, to translating information architecture into UI design, to creating style guides and development specifications, the UXD role helps turn concepts and ideas into reality by creating exceptional user experience and user interface design.
Office Location: Traverse City, Michigan
Work Location: Hybrid – Combination of Remote and In Office
Essential Job Functions
- Identify user requirements by researching and analyzing user needs, preferences, objectives, and working methods, both internally and externally
- Prepare and conduct user empathy sessions with internal domain knowledge experts and external customers
- Assist in developing personas, user scenarios, and customer journeys
- Assist in envisioning the architectural scheme, information structure, features, and functionality
- Assist in implementing information architecture by preparing paper and interactive prototypes and mockups including page layout and navigational elements
- Assist in crafting interactive experiences pre-UI design
User Interface(UI) Design
- Translate information architecture into UI design concepts that lead to intuitive user experiences
- Collaborate with the Product Development team to ensure consistency and quality of the UX
- Present and communicate design solutions with clarity, effectively articulating ideas to variety of stakeholders
- Leverage and contribute to existing design pattern libraries and interface guidelines
- Iterate rapidly, with high quality, and with user-centered focus
- Identify design problems and devise elegant solutions
- Take a user-centered design approach and rapidly test and iterate your designs
- Create UI with modern design affordance and consistent usability patterns that are on-brand with company's technology products
- Make strategic design and user-experience decisions related to core, and new, functions and features
- Create styleguides, specs, and documentation to support software development
- Work within current design language / style and assist in evolving UI design as our technology expands
- Critique design work of UX Design Team, evaluating the usability and effectiveness of solutions
Performs other job duties as assigned.
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree of Science in User Experience Design, Human/Computer Interaction Design, Human-Centered Design, or similar
- Experience in UX or UI design. Preference will be given to candidates who have experience designing complex solutions for complete digital environments
- Expertise in UX software such as InVision, UXPin, Balsamiq, and the like
- Expertise in UI Design software such as Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Figma, and Sketch
- Ability to work with clients to understand detailed requirements and design complete user experiences that meet company and client needs and vision
- Extensive experience in using UX/UI design best practices to design solutions, and a deep understanding of mobile-first and responsive design
- A solid grasp of user-centered design and testing methodologies, subsystems, and usability / accessibility concerns
- Ability to iterate your designs and solutions efficiently and intelligently
- Ability to communicate design processes, ideas, and solutions clearly and effectively
- Ability to quickly learn new systems, processes, and tools that support the UX Design process
- A clear understanding of the importance of user-centered design
- A clear understanding of Design Thinking, Lean Startup, Agile Project Management, and SCRUM Framework
- Possess a genuine excitement about collaborating and communicating closely with teams and other stakeholders
- Comfortable communicating with individuals or groups at any level of an organization
- Strategic and innovative
- Genuine curiosity with willing to learn and seek to understand
- Willing to help teammates, share knowledge and experience with them, and learn from them
- Open to receiving feedback and constructive criticism
- Passionate about all things UX, as well as other areas of design and innovation
- A good sense of humor will be necessary to fit in to our unique culture
Office setting, hybrid remote
Bending, sitting, seeing, walking, talking, and extended periods of time at desk doing computer work.
Light travel, approximately 5%. Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license and a driving record that is acceptable with our insurance company.
What We Do:
RJG is a recognized international leader in the plastic injection molding industry, helping molders and their customers be successful by providing them with training, technology, and resources. We provide our products and services through RJG Regional Sales Offices throughout the world and via the Internet. www.rjginc.com
Who We Are:
Are you looking for a career in a company that provides a professional atmosphere and a culture of openness, trust and respect in work hard/play hard environment.? Would you like to work for a company with a corporate culture that strives to treat team members as family and is focused on customer success? Would you enjoy living in an area that has been nationally recognized for its scenic beauty, amazing food and popular festivals and events? If you don’t mind an occasional dog roaming the hallways and seeing a spontaneous nerf gun fight break-out, you’ll enjoy our work environment!
What We Believe
RJG is committed to being fair to our employees and maintaining an environment that encourages personal responsibility. We seek employees who are committed to preserving and enhancing these values. We firmly believe that the highest quality people produce the highest quality products and services; that strong business ethics flow from strong personal ethics, and that responsible people produce exceptional results. If this sounds like an environment where you could excel both personally and professionally, then RJG might be the right place for you.
Pay and Benefits:
We offer competitive wages, and an exceptional benefit package including company paid Health, Dental and Prescription insurance for the employee and dependents. We offer a minimum of 10 paid holidays per year and paid vacations. We are a profit-sharing company.