Hiring Now! Farm Laborer - Turf Department (Seasonal, Full-Time)
Turf | New Carlisle, IN | Full Time and Temporary
**** ATTENTION – HIRING NOW - Start Soon! ****
**** RED HEN TURF FARM is seeking Farm Laborers in our Turf Department to come work with a GREAT TEAM AT RED HEN TURF FARM (New Carlisle, IN) ****
**** FULL-TIME, SEASONAL POSITION ... WOULD BE A GREAT SUMMER JOB! ****
About Red Hen Turf Farm: Located near South Bend, Indiana, Red Hen Turf Farm (www.redhenturf.com) started as a Service Business in 1957. Red Hen was born as a sod farm to produce turf grass sod for residential use. Today, Red Hen raises and provides high quality turf grass sod for homeowners, landscapers, highway projects, municipalities, and athletic fields. In addition to turfgrass, we also produce Seed Corn, Tomatoes and Row Crops.
Since the beginning and still today, Red Hen is a Service Business that produces crops. We cannot survive without positive and productive relationships with our customers. Our purpose is to provide our customers with the best quality product and in the most desirable timing possible.We do the best we can to provide good quality and good service.
Red Hen has a successful track record built on progressive, forward thinking business practices. We use the latest technology, have a state of the art office and shop facility, and sound agronomic practices in order to benefit our customers with quality and service. Red Hen is an excellent place to grow professionally and personally.
Position Title: Farm Laborer
Department: Turf (aka Sod)
Minimal Level of Education and Experience required for acceptable performance:
- Valid Driver’s License, with clean, insurable driving record.
- $9.25+ per hour
Reports to: Sod Harvesting Manager / Turf Operations Manager
This position is a seasonal job, lasting from approximately April through November, although Red Hen would be happy to hire a Student returning to school in the fall.
- "Farm Laborer" is a broad term for a variety of tasks that varies from day to day. Duties typically consist of working 80% in Turf (Sod Harvesting) and 20% in other departments.
- At times, this position requires working long hours (55+ hours per week), including some weekends.
- Job Pluses: You get to work outside and get plenty of exercise. You are encouraged to think and take responsibility, can learn many new skills, and can easily see and appreciate your day’s work.
- Job Minuses: You get to work outside! Sometimes it mists, rains, snows and gets cold. It will also get hot.Customer needs and weather can impact workflow, and this work pattern isn’t for everyone.
Essential Tasks, Duties & Responsibilities (include, but are not limited to):
- Safety : Always working with the safety of yourself, your co-workers, and customers as a priority.
- Ongoing Training : Actively participating in ongoing training sessions on various aspects of your job duties.
- Maintenance and Service : With the guidance of Field Assistants, Operators, and Farm Managers, perform tasks like general property maintenance, sweeping the shop, chopping and mowing weeds around buildings, pressure washing machinery, repairing broken pallets, servicing mower decks, servicing sod harvesters and forklifts, and fueling semi-trucks, irrigation engines, other equipment and vehicles.
- Customer Service : Directing questions appropriately when communicating information about Red Hen products to customers (For example, referring customers to our website, brochures, and to contact Office Staff.) Using discretion and professionalism when assisting customers.
- Sod (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO): Sod Harvesting : Assisting the Sod Harvesting Manager with performing a second level of quality control.· Sod Rolling: Sod must be rolled before it is harvested. To roll the sod, Farm Laborers operate a tractor at a speed of about 3 mph, while pulling a roller. Some people think it is a boring job while others enjoy it. Sod Stacking : On days when we have large orders or the mechanical sod stacker breaks down, manual sod stackers are used. This means taking little roll sod from a harvesting machine and manually stacking them on a pallet. Sod Loading by Hand : Most sod is harvested by a machine and stacked on a pallet in the field.Customers come out to the field and Farm Laborers take 2’ by 5’ little roll sod off the pallet and stack it on or in the customers’ vehicle. Little rolls of sod weigh about 30-40 pounds each. Must be able to transfer 50 little rolls of sod by hand, from a pallet held up by a forklift to customers’ vehicles in about 2 minutes without stopping - on a busy day, you might load over 400 little rolls, which would be about 12,000 pounds. Forklift Operation : Using a forklift to load empty pallets on the sod stacking machine, staging full pallets from the stacking line and loading little roll sod by hand on customers vehicles. Collecting harvested 2.5’ by 80’ big rolls (weigh about 600 pounds each), staging them for truck loading, and then ultimately load big rolls on the delivery trucks.
- Tomatoes (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO) :· Assisting the Tomato Operations Manager with field preparation, tomato planting, fertilization, harvesting operations, equipment movement, and general labor. Operating equipment (tractors, trucks, etc.) under the supervision of a Manager. · Willingness to work with and assist Tomato Operations Manager with coordinating temporary seasonal workers.
- Grain (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO) : At times, assisting with planting, harvesting, etc.
Non-Essential Tasks, Duties & Responsibilities: Work history in the agricultural industry and general mechanical and automotive skills are pluses.
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Communication : Balancing listening and talking; keeping others informed.
- Team Work & Coachability : Ability to work as a member of a team; be receptive to feedback; willing to learn new things and share knowledge and skills; embracing continuous improvement.
- Customer-Oriented : Practicing excellent customer service like being courteous, helpful, patient, and attentive.Professional appearance, clear communication, product, time management skills, and the ability to be flexible enough to handle surprises. Willing to do other tasks to keep our customers satisfied.
- Problem Solving & Innovation : Finding the best solution to a given problem or situation; collaborating with others to seek input and alternative ideas; thinking first before acting. Taking ownership of your work and thinking of new ways to do things better, and being willing to share your ideas with others.
- Efficiency, Effectiveness, and Productivity : Only Handle It Once (OHIO) is the rule of thumb to strive for in performing all job duties; look for ideas to make every motion count twice, and share your ideas with others.
- Technology : Red Hen Turf Farm understands that learning new technologies can be a challenge. Still, you will need to be receptive to learning new technologies to help improve productivity and profitability of the farm.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs repeatedly
- Ability to bend, climb, lift throughout the day
- Be able to work outside in all conditions
More about Working at Red Hen:
- Paychecks are issued every Thursday by direct deposit.
- Red Hen performs pre-employment drug testing for all positions, and reserves the right to perform random, post incident / accident, reasonable suspicion and rehabilitation monitoring drug and alcohol testing.