FARM OPERATIONS MANAGER - Come Grow With Us!
Red Hen Farms | New Carlisle, IN | Full Time
FARM OPERATIONS MANAGER – Come Grow With Us
RED HEN FARMS - New Carlisle, Indiana
Role Definition: Farm Operations Manager
Last Updated: 12/4/2017
Salary Wage Range: $60,000+ Competitive with Corporate Level Jobs of Similar Responsibility
Benefits & Perks: Retirement Plan, Group Health Insurance, Paid-Time-Off
Role Description. As a Farm Operations Manager at Red Hen, you will have ownership of your job in coordinating and directing up to 6 staff daily in executing farm production of row crops, seed corn, tomatoes, and turf grass/sod. You must be highly organized and thrive on achieving great performance through others. The Farm Operations Manager will work on internal and external logistics and with vendors and customers to meet our goals of superior quality and service. Our ideal candidate is goal-oriented, has a high level of communication skills, has a strong understanding of production processes, and is passionate about agriculture. This is an excellent opportunity for you to realize your dream of farm management with our enduring organization.
More About Red Hen. Since 1957, Red Hen has been in business in the South Bend, Indiana area. While we are known primarily for our turf grass sod production, in recent years Red Hen has added processing tomato production and seed corn production. These crops are the primary focus of our business. Our staff of 20 people has a great tenure, and our culture is getting stronger every year. We are focused on providing a great work environment that is safe and professional, takes care of our people, and builds profits into a stronger business. Since the beginning and still today, Red Hen is a service business that produces crops. We strive to develop and nurture positive and productive relationships with our customers. Our purpose is to provide our customers with the best quality product and in the most desirable timing possible. We are dedicated to and passionate about Growing for Others.
Essential Functions: (Tasks, Duties, Responsibilities Most Important to Position)
- Coordinate the team on daily tasks in all aspects of farm operations to achieve efficient and effective use of resources to achieve specific goals with the flexibility to make mid-flight adjustments.
- Provide technical assistance with projects such as machinery & GPS setup, and chemical and fertilizer application.
- Be a resource for challenges, issues, and problems that arise through normal farming activities.
- Provide a high level of customer service and communication to companies we contract production with, landlords, and other facets of the operation.
- Compile, evaluate, and make decisions on agronomic needs, procure inputs and monitor inventories.
- Other duties as needed.
Key Skills and Abilities:
- Experience with heavy machinery. Work with skilled staff to execute all cropping activities for row crops, tomatoes, and sod including tillage, planting, weekly scouting, spraying, irrigation, and harvest.
- Able to Lead and Work with people of various skills and abilities. Enjoy sharing knowledge and training others.
- Able to self-motivate, adapt, and manage conflicting priorities and assignments.
- Tech Savvy, with the ability to troubleshoot.
- Highly-organized and process-focused in all aspects.
- Provide up-to-date weekly reports on agronomic conditions and crop progress to management.
- Participate in daily and weekly staff meetings with team members, updating and working to achieve quarterly goals.
- Collect and work with outside consultants to process all in-field data, crop yield and inputs to measure performance and provide reports to management team.
- Work to refine enterprise cost-tracking and analysis.
- Solve in-the-moment problems.
Experience and Educational Requirements:
- 5 – 10 Years Management and Operational Control with 5 + direct reports
- Corporate Work Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or higher, preferably in Ag Technology, Crop and Soil Sciences, Agriculture or related fields
- Customer Service Experience
- MUST have experience operating LARGE FARM EQUIPMENT
Application Process Details:
- Step 1: Submit resume through this Job Posting. No phone calls please.
- Step 2: If your experience, skills, education, and background best match the requirements for this opportunity, you will be contacted by Red Hen to set up an initial phone screening of your qualifications
- Step 3: From the initial phone screening, we will invite highly qualified candidates for a pre-employment assessment and an on-site interview, which may include meeting with key peers, and leadership.
- Step 4: All applicants who undergo the on-site interview will be notified once the hiring process has concluded.