Visual Design Intern
Design | New York, NY | Internship
Reboot solves civic problems. We work with change agents within governments, civil society, and philanthropies to achieve their social missions.
Reboot is currently seeking a Visual Design Intern to support our in-house design team. An ideal candidate is both creative and analytical. You can present visually inspiring work that captures big-picture vision, without losing sight of the details or abandoning the message. You feel morally obligated to make complex visual information accessible, and would feel personally insulted if someone asked you to “make it pretty.” You have a multidisciplinary skill set, and enjoy being a “jack-of-all-trades” rather than a firmly-rooted specialist. If the opportunity to contribute to the processes, culture, and outputs of a growing design team is a welcome challenge, this position is for you.
This is a full or part-time opportunity based at our offices in Brooklyn, starting in early May and running through August. This is a paid internship and the minimum time commitment is 24 hours per week.
- Support the creative visual design process for various internal projects, in close collaboration with our design team.
- Create clear and compelling print and digital materials to present complex qualitative and quantitative data and concepts.
- Support regular updates to Reboot’s website.
- Work closely with the design team to identify and design additional website components to improve the site and remain in line with Reboot’s organizational priorities.
- Shape Reboot’s brand and identity through the application of its visual identity system, working with the the design team to identify opportunities to fine-tune, adapt, and implement brand consistency.
- Promote brand consistency in the business development process through working to design topic-specific proposals, and assemble marketing collateral as needed.
- Build and maintain Reboot’s corporate image library, including design of library architecture, optimization of the system for image searches, and receiving and processing new batches of images.
- A self-starting, solutions-oriented attitude.
- A passion for visually communicating through any medium. Though you may not have the technical know-how to make a 10-minute animated infographic, you can spot a compelling one a mile away, and explain what makes it work. If you do have the technical know-how, even better!
- Noted experience with print and web-based design processes and outputs.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to transform complex data into compelling infographics, but awareness of the pitfalls of information visualization.
- Professional proficiency in the Adobe Creative Suite — especially InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop.
- Ace verbal and written communication skills.
- A team-oriented positive approach and genuine interest in contributing to our multi-disciplinary team of delightful, hardworking people.
- A genuine passion for and understanding of Reboot's vision and approach.
- A bachelor's degree in Graphic Design or a related field.
- A portfolio of your work (applications submitted without a portfolio will not be considered)
- Experience with HTML, CSS, and WordPress is a big plus.
- An appreciation of complexity, comfort with ambiguity, a sense of humor, and a fan of cute office pups.
Reboot is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Reboot respects and values diversity. We are committed to ensuring that there is no discrimination in the recruitment, retention, training, or development of employees on the basis of gender, gender identity or expression, race, national origin, religious belief, political opinion, age, or disability. Diversity of perspective and experience benefits our firm and helps us deliver our best work; we encourage qualified individuals from all backgrounds to apply.
Please complete the application through the link below. Include your CV, portfolio, and a cover letter that describes why you believe you would be a good fit for Reboot and this role.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, priority will be given to those submitted by April 13, 2018.