Programs | New York, NY | Full Time
Reboot is a social impact firm dedicated to inclusive development and accountable governance. We help governments, foundations, and international organizations achieve their missions.
Reboot blends methods from human-centered design and other disciplines, often applying them in new ways to the challenges of public sector innovation. Our work spans public health in Nigeria, criminal justice reform in New York City, refugee services in Turkey, open government around the world, and many more.
We are seeking a Strategic Designer to bring their passion and ideas to advance Reboot’s projects and programs. Our ideal candidate is fluent in both human-centered design and global development. You bring a diverse toolkit of design skills that can be applied across the sectors where Reboot works, including open government, media development, criminal justice, and public health. You are equally comfortable meeting government officials in the capital or working with citizens on the street. You are enterprising and have the chops to become a star all on your own, but you value being part of a multidisciplinary team. This is a full-time, permanent staff position based in our New York office, with the expectation of significant travel during project periods.
Project work (80%)
- Manage design research to understand user, stakeholder, and client needs, and to lead cross-disciplinary, multinational teams in synthesizing insights and translating into policy recommendations, service designs, or relevant design products;
- Liaise with a range of stakeholders in projects, co-creating with government, civil society organizations, and communities;
- Collaborate with other project staff and consultants, potentially managing a diverse range of subject matter experts and technical contributors;
- Lead team in synthesizing research findings through a variety of design research analytical frameworks such as user personas, user experience journeys, and system maps;
- Lead development of (system and service) design concepting through rapid prototyping (including wireframe development), intensive user-testing, and inclusive review processes;
- Contribute to project planning to ensure that design approaches are well-integrated into broader goals.
Communications and Business Development (10%)
- Create and cultivate partnerships around new opportunities. Educate clients and partners on Reboot’s unique approach, and lead development conversations on project scope, methodology, and outputs;
- Contribute to Reboot’s advocacy work by publishing articles and blog posts, speaking or attending events, contributing to Reboot’s online presence, and giving talks or lectures;
- Contribute to development of technical and financial proposals for opportunities that align with your expertise and background.
Knowledge Management & Process Innovation (10%)
- Contribute to the development of internal processes within Reboot to improve organizational agility, efficiency, and impact;
- Ensure lessons from industry best practices and client engagements are effectively integrated across Reboot’s work;
- Ensure frequent knowledge transfer between programmatic team members and technical specialists, and support cross-pollination of expertise across the organization.
Our ideal candidate has:
- Formal training in design, research, ethnography, development, or other related fields.
- At least five years of relevant professional experience;
- Demonstrated skill with a range of design tools, design exercises and design methods;
- Capable of translating design activities for appropriate contexts, purposes, programs, and audiences;
- Fluency and experience in human-centered design, participatory design, and design strategy for international development and social impact contexts;
- Strong understanding of multiple issues relevant to Reboot's work, such as: international development, open government, media development, institutional innovation, education, public health, financial inclusion, mobile technology, civic participation;
- Significant international work experience and ability to operate effectively in unfamiliar cultural contexts and poor infrastructure environments;
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English. Fluency in additional languages preferred;
- Comfortable with public speaking and workshop facilitation; poised in client communications and project management;
- Ability to work under tight time constraints, multitask with ease, and adjust plans in the face of changing priorities;
- Appreciation of complexity. Comfort with ambiguity. Sense of humor. Can co-habitate with dogs.
Reboot is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Reboot respects and values diversity. We are committed to ensuring that there is no discrimination in the recruitment, retention, training, or development of employees on the basis of gender, gender identity or expression, race, national origin, religious belief, political opinion, age, or disability. Diversity of perspective and experience benefits our firm and helps us deliver our best work; we encourage qualified individuals from all backgrounds to apply.
Please complete the application through the link below. Include your CV and a cover letter that describes why you believe you would be a good fit for Reboot and this role. Please also include a link to your portfolio in your cover letter. Only complete applications will be considered.
We encourage interested applicants to apply as soon as possible.