Local Researchers (Port Harcourt, Nigeria)
Programs | Various cities, Nigeria | Contract
ATTENTION: THIS JOB ANNOUNCEMENT IS FOR PORT HARCOURT CANDIDATES ONLY. ONLY APPLICANTS LOCATED IN PORT HARCOURT WILL BE CONSIDERED. ALL OTHER LOCATIONS HAVE BEEN FILLED.
Reboot solves civic problems by working with change agents within governments, civil society, and philanthropies to achieve their social missions. With offices in New York and Abuja, we work at the intersections of open government, media development and international development to build healthier information ecosystems and accountable government.
We are seeking eight (8) consultants across Nigeria to work on a project aimed at understanding the misinformation and disinformation on closed messaging apps in Nigeria.
The goal of the project is to:
- Understand the prevalence of mis- and disinformation on closed messaging applications (CMAs) like WhatsApp
- Understand how users of closed messaging applications are sharing news-type content on these platforms
- Identify effective ways of debunking mis- and disinformation on these platforms
The researchers will help in disseminating a survey with users across Nigeria. One researcher in each of the following cities: Kaduna, Kano, Lagos, Abuja, Benue, Anambra, Jos, Port Harcourt.
Ideal candidates have disseminated a qualitative survey and are interested in messaging apps more broadly.
Timeline and commitment:
Consultants will work for approximately three weeks (or ~13 working days) between April 2019 and July 2019. The schedule is flexible and can be determined by the individual consultant, as needed.
Consultants will administer a survey experiment to determine the efficacy of new debunk formats in terms of their likelihood to be shared and the ability to change beliefs.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Survey participant outreach, recruitment, and scheduling: Researchers will circulate a very brief online questionnaire to build a database large enough to select from randomly for the research activities. Where necessary, they may be asked to conduct another round of targeted outreach to fill in any gaps in the representation of the various segments that make up Nigeria’s mobile internet users. Identify approximately 200 survey participants in the home city. (Note: participants will receive a modest incentive to complete the survey.)
- Conduct survey: With guidance from the Reboot team, conduct the survey with identified participants. Each survey is expected to take approximately 20 minutes.
- Documentation: Researchers will document and sort data from the survey
- Team coordination: Participate in regular meetings and check-ins with the Reboot team to ensure the research goals are in process.
- Analysis (for the Abuja-based Researcher only): help to analyze and synthesize incoming data, to uncover meaningful findings for the broader project team
Successful candidates will bring a mix of skills and experiences to the role.
Ideal candidates have:
- 3 to 5 years of relevant professional experience (conducting qualitative research, working on ICT and/or social media related projects)
- Deep experience and network in the ‘focal state” location (Kaduna, Kano, Lagos, Abuja, Benue, Anambra, Jos, or Port Harcourt).
- A university degree in relevant field; advanced degree preferred.
- Excellent communication skills in English and local languages as necessary.
- Demonstrated interest in qualitative research.
- Computer proficiency (especially MS Office and Google apps) required.
- Preferably based in the focal state (Kaduna, Kano, Lagos, Abuja, Benue, Anambra, Jos, or Port Harcourt with a willingness to travel as needed.
Reboot is an equal opportunity employer
Reboot respects and values diversity. We are committed to ensuring that there is no discrimination in the recruitment, retention, training, or development of employees on the basis of gender, gender identity or expression, race, national origin, religious belief, political opinion, age, or disability. The diversity of perspective and experience benefits our firm and helps us deliver our best work. We encourage qualified individuals from all backgrounds to apply.
Interested applicants are asked to apply as soon as possible. Please submit a CV and a cover letter that describes why you believe you would be a good fit for Reboot.