Summer Development Internship – (unpaid)
Internships | Oakland, CA | Part Time
Since 1999, Reading Partners has targeted the achievement gap found in low-income communities and provided a structured, high-impact literacy intervention program for thousands of K-5 students who have fallen below grade level in reading skills. We partner with Title I elementary schools to provide volunteer-driven one-on-one tutoring to struggling readers for 45 minutes twice a week. After 26 hours of tutoring, the average student grows a whole grade level in reading skills. With over 3,500 community volunteers in 60+ public schools, Reading Partners serves over 3,300 students in California, Washington DC, New York, Texas and Maryland with plans for growth into other regions in the near future.
Position Description & Requirements
You will join an inspired, hard-working team of fund development professionals who support Reading Partners’ $8M+ operating budget. This is an excellent opportunity to gain experience in the fundraising sector and build your non-profit leadership skills. The position will primarily focus on research, grantwriting, and reporting for regional foundations and corporations. No prior knowledge of fundraising or grantwriting is needed.
- Write and prepare high-quality reports for foundations and corporations who support Reading Partners’ operations in Northern California
- Interface with program, outreach, and accounting staff to research and collect necessary information to present to funders
- Provide support to the development team in stewarding relationships with funders
- Other projects relating to research, writing, event planning, marketing, finance, or data analysis can be developed based your personal interests and experience.
- Outstanding writing skills
- Critical thinking skills
- Attention to detail
- Customer service orientation
- Track record of excellence in your work
- Trustworthiness and sound judgment
- No prior knowledge of fundraising or grantwriting is necessary!
- Gain experience working with a well-respected, fast-growing education non-profit
- Learn about the key players in Northern California’s philanthropy sector
- Work with a boss who is committed to your development and career growth and can help tailor your intern experience to your personal career goals
- Conduct informational interviews with members of Reading Partners’ executive management
- Go on a “thank you” lunch with the CEO
- Participate in select foundation and corporate philanthropy meetings to see the fundraising process in action - depending upon your performance, you may have the opportunity to deliver talking select talking points
- Join select internal team meetings to better understand how a non-profit runs
To apply, please submit the following:
- Submit the following:
- Cover letter that includes your days and hours of availability, as well as the preferred start and end dates of the internship