Site Coordinator - Reading Center - Bronx, NY
Program | Bronx, NY
The Reading Partners Site Coordinator at Metropolitan Lighthouse Charter School plays a very important role in the main operations of Reading Partners. Site Coordinators are placed in partner schools, where they oversee the operations of the Reading Partners Reading Center, a special learning environment created in a room provided by the school. The Site Coordinator is responsible for managing 40 community volunteers from all walks of life who will serve as tutors at the school. Each Site Coordinator reports to and works with a Program Manager, a staff member with a strong educational background who provides direct instruction and coaching. Site Coordinators also receive ongoing instruction and coaching from Reading Partners staff.
The program operates from 9am-5:00pm, Monday through Thursday. Site Coordinators spend Fridays focusing on professional development and preparation, as well as participating in team volunteer activities. This is an exciting opportunity for a service minded and mission-driven individual who is passionate about education and the nonprofit sector.
- Coordinate of a site-based, curriculum-focused, one-to-one tutoring program for approximately 40 struggling readers in grades 1-5.
- Tutor approximately 10 sessions each week.
- Ensure that all students receiving support through Reading Partners are making gains in their reading abilities.
- Implement identified materials, tools, resources and activities to address students’ learning needs.
- Train and support community volunteers in their role as reading tutors; help to create a welcoming environment and positive experience for volunteers.
- Facilitate communication and maintain positive relationships between Reading Partners, teachers, students’ families and community partners.
- Attend weekly school Professional Development Sessions.
- Support tutors during sessions by identifying resources and addressing questions and concerns.
- Conference with tutors and teachers in order to maximize student achievement.
- Implement opportunities for parents to become involved with Reading Partners.
- Experience teaching reading to K-5 students or working within a school environment
- Excellent constituent relations skills (volunteers, teachers, parents), positive attitude
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once
- Experience and interest in working with elementary school-age children
- Ability to express self clearly, in written and verbal forms
- Working knowledge of and ability to follow structured Reading Partners literacy curriculum.
- Access to reliable transportation (public transportation or personal transport) to travel within a defined geographic region on occasion
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Proficiency in Spanish
- Fluent with Google apps (specifically calendaring and docs)
- Experience in volunteering or volunteer management
- Experience working with a diverse community and/or English Language Learners
- Master’s or advanced degree in Education, Child Development or related field
The Reading Partners Site Coordinator for Metropolitan Lighthouse Charter School will primarily be based at the school site in the Soundview neighborhood of the Bronx. The school’s address is 1535 Story Avenue.
Site Coordinators are responsible for transportation to and from their school site as well as occasional transportation to the regional office in Brooklyn.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL & MENTAL DEMANDS
Requires prolonged sitting with some bending, stooping and stretching; eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, telephone, photocopier, calculator and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to communicate with volunteers as well as maintaining Reading Center records. Also requires flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
This is a fulltime non-exempt (hourly) position with competitive benefits that will run through the end of June 2013. A high performing Site Coordinator may have the opportunity to continue with the organization in the 2013-14 school year. The salary range for this position is $17-19/hour, dependent upon experience.
If you feel you are a strong fit for this position, please submit your resume and a cover letter clearly stating why you would be successful in this position. Interviews will begin in late mid-February, with an anticipated start date of late March. Please no phone calls.
Reading Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer, with a strong commitment to diversity in the workplace.