Site Coordinator - Literacy Center -NY metro region
Program | New York, NY | Full Time
Reading Partners launched in 2001 with the mission to expand opportunities for children in underserved communities by fostering a lifelong love of reading, developing strong literacy skills, and building the confidence and self-esteem critical to empowerment and community development. Reading Partners provides children with robust one-on-one reading support through a structured, research-based curriculum that engages students and provides basic building blocks to supplement their academic growth. On average, Reading Partners students gain 1.6 months of reading skills for every month in the program.
Working in partnership with teachers, schools, and community volunteers, Reading Partners has grown from serving 100 students in 2003 in northern California with a budget of $180,000 to serving over 2,900 students in California, Washington, D.C., New York, Texas, and Maryland with a budget of almost $8M. A recipient of significant Social Innovation Fund funding through the Edna McConnell Clark Foundation, Reading Partners has plans for continued rapid growth into other regions. For more information about Reading Partners, please visit www.readingpartners.org.
WHAT WE DO AND HOW WE DO IT
Reading Partners is dedicated to transforming struggling young readers into confident readers who are excited about learning.
How we do it:
· Focus on children from low-income communities.
· Give one-on-one instruction at the student’s reading level.
· Recruit and train community volunteers to work with children.
· Partner with high-need elementary schools to offer an effective program on campus.
· Provide a way for volunteers to give a small amount of their time to make a huge difference in a child’s life.
We are seeking a full time Site Coordinator for our PS 155 Reading Center located in Manhattan. The Site Coordinator will be responsible for supervising volunteers and being the link between our program and the school. All tutoring is done using a highly structured curriculum that we developed in partnership with faculty at Stanford University.
The program operates from 9:00 – 4:00pm, Monday through Friday. Site Coordinators spend Fridays focused on professional development and preparation, as well as participating in team volunteer activities. As a part of our team, site coordinators receive ongoing coaching and support. This is an exciting opportunity to play a critical role in directly impacting America’s elementary school students while building your own organizational and professional skills, all while serving your local community.
A successful Reading Partners Site Coordinator will have experience working with elementary school students, teaching reading or community organizing. They demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills, a strong sense of responsibility, and the ability to work independently toward identified goals and objectives.
The ideal candidate will thrive in a casual, yet fast-paced environment and will have the ability to work and communicate in diverse communities. Candidates should be excited about working as part of a team, and interested in receiving ongoing coaching and guidance.
At each school-based reading center, a Site Coordinator oversees the day-to-day operations of the center, while working closely with a Program Manager, a staff member with a strong educational background who will spend one full day each week working with the Site Coordinator. The Site Coordinator will be responsible for:
- Coordination of a site-based, curriculum-focused, one-to-one tutoring program for approximately 60-80 struggling readers in grades K-5.
- Ensuring that all students receiving support through Reading Partners are making gains in their reading abilities.
- Implementing identified materials, tools, resources and activities to address students’ learning needs.
- Openness to coaching and support from supervisor, who will have extensive background and experience in elementary education, and a willingness to use them as a resource.
- Training and supporting community volunteers in their role as reading tutors; helping to create a welcoming environment and positive experience for volunteers.
- Facilitating communication and maintaining positive relationships between Reading Partners, teachers, students’ families and community partners.
- Supporting tutors during sessions by identifying resources and addressing questions and concerns.
- Conferencing with tutors and teachers in order to maximize student achievement.
- Implementing opportunities for parents to become involved with Reading Partners.
- Utilize Reading Partners curriculum to tutor/mentor students
- The Site Coordinator will report directly to the local Reading Partners Program Manager an experienced elementary educator with a strong background in teaching literacy. Program Managers will provide on-site support and coaching for approximately 6 hours per week, in addition to weekly training sessions.
- This position will work closely with other Reading Partners staff, school staff members and administration, volunteer tutors, community partners, students, and families.
Candidates must be committed to providing excellent educational opportunities for all students and must be willing to work enthusiastically toward achieving this goal. Additional qualifications include:
- Excellent constituent relations skills (volunteers, teachers, parents), positive attitude
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once
- Experience and interest in working with elementary school-age children
- Ability to express self clearly, in written and verbal forms
- Working knowledge of and ability to follow structured Reading Partners literacy curriculum
- Access to reliable transportation (public transportation or personal transport) to travel within a defined geographic region on occasion
- Proficiency in Spanish
- Experience in volunteering or volunteer management
- Experience teaching reading to K-5 students or working within a school environment
- Experience working with a diverse community and/or English Language Learners
TYPICAL PHYSICAL & MENTAL DEMANDS
Requires prolonged sitting with some bending, stooping and stretching; eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, telephone, photocopier, calculator and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare and communicate appropriate reports. Also requires moderate to intense concentration due to complexity and/or need to meet deadlines, and flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
$11-14 per hour (DOE). This is a full-time (Approximately 35 hours per week) non-exempt position with health, dental and vision benefits, vacation, and sick time. In order to for students to reach academic goals for year, Site Coordinators will need to commit through the current academic school year.
- Cover letter highlighting reasons for your interest in the position, relevant experience/qualifications for the position, and salary requirements.
Reading Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer, with a strong commitment to diversity in the workplace.