Outreach Manager - Mid-Atlantic Region
Community Engagement | Washington, DC | Full Time
Outreach Manager – Mid-Atlantic Region
Reading Partners launched in 2001 with the mission to expand opportunities for children in underserved communities by fostering a lifelong love of reading, developing strong literacy skills, and building the confidence and self-esteem critical to empowerment and community development. Reading Partners provides children with robust one-on-one reading support through a structured, research-based curriculum that engages students and provides basic building blocks to supplement their academic growth. On average, Reading Partners students gain 1.6 months of reading skills for every month in the program.
Working in partnership with teachers, schools, and community volunteers, Reading Partners has grown from serving 100 students in 2003 in northern California with a budget of $180,000 to serving over 5,000 students in California, Washington, D.C., Mid-Atlantic, Texas, Maryland, and Colorado with a budget of over $13M. As one of only a handful of nonprofits to receive two highly competitive federal Social Innovation Fund grants, Reading Partners has plans for continued rapid growth into other regions. For more information about Reading Partners, please visit www.readingpartners.org.
WHAT WE DO AND HOW WE DO IT
Reading Partners is dedicated to transforming struggling young readers into confident readers who are excited about learning.
How we do it:
- Focus on children from low-income communities.
- Give one-on-one instruction at the student’s reading level.
- Recruit and train community volunteers to work with children.
- Partner with high-need elementary schools to offer an effective program on campus.
- Provide a way for volunteers to give a small amount of their time to make a huge difference in a child’s life.
The Reading Partners Outreach Manager establishes community partnerships to recruit volunteers and raise awareness of Reading Partners across the Mid-Atlantic region. This position is ultimately responsible for meeting or exceeding volunteer recruitment targets and consistently providing a sufficient number of volunteers to our expanding program In the 2013-14 school year Reading Partners will work with over 900 volunteers serving 17 schools. Additionally the Outreach Manager supports external relations activities for the region. S/he is responsible for drafting communications, cultivating corporate partners and supporting the Executive Director – Mid-Atlantic Region in meeting regional outreach and fundraising goals.
- The Outreach Manager reports to the Executive Director – Mid-Atlantic Region. S/he also communicates regularly with National Outreach Team members and is an active member of the National Outreach Team.
- The Reading Partners Outreach Manager leads and supports a team of 2-3 Outreach Coordinators
Outreach: Community Relations and Partnerships
- Develop community partnership strategies with the Executive Director and National Outreach Team
- Lead targeted research efforts to develop a strategic plan for relationship-building and new community partner engagement.
- Plan and execute public events to increase Reading Partners’ local presence.
- Arrange and attend events, conferences, and meetings to build and maintain community relationships.
Outreach: Volunteer Recruitment
- Steward and support the development of city/region-wide partnerships with nonprofits, corporations and civic organizations interested in volunteering.
- Manage and maintain Reading Partner’s volunteer database records (Salesforce) for the region.
- Work with and manage Outreach Coordinators to develop and successfully execute volunteer recruitment plans for each school site.
Leadership and Management
- Create annual regional outreach plans with support of Reading Partners national staff.
- Provide outreach strategy research and expertise in regional department head meetings.
- Develop a year-round calendar of volunteer involvement in collaboration with the AmeriCorps Manager and regional Program Managers.
- Execute onboarding, training, and orientation process for Outreach Coordinators. Training consists of 2 weeks before recruitment starts and ongoing semi-monthly trainings during the year.
- Assist in developing, scheduling, and conducting ongoing volunteer orientations and trainings.
- Ensure volunteer and Outreach staff satisfaction and retention.
- Work collaboratively with all departments of Reading Partners to maximize the benefit of volunteer involvement with all functional areas.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the D.C. and Baltimore education landscape and broader community.
- Proven success in volunteer recruitment, staff and volunteer leadership and management
- Strong team orientation, interpersonal skills, judgment and ability to work effective in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Proven high level writing and oral communication skills
- Excellent computer skills, including MS Office Applications as well as background in database management
- Flexibility and adaptability in work schedule, including some nights and weekends
- Energy, creativity, initiative, sense of humor and enthusiasm.
- US Citizenship or Permanent Resident status
The ideal candidate has a strong background in volunteer recruitment, management, retention and engagement. Experience may also include work in external relations, marketing, or communications. S/he possesses strong managerial skills and must be able to provide ongoing coaching to staff members who may have limited experience but who are committed to developing a high-quality volunteer program. S/he must be able to multi-task and juggle multiple priorities and activities simultaneously. S/he should have firm experience working in customer service and must be able to independently identify and troubleshoot operational challenges. S/he must be able to develop action plans, understanding that they will be held accountable for recruitment results.
Most importantly, s/he must be able to model and internalize Reading Partner’s core values, and be committed to providing excellent educational opportunities for all students while working enthusiastically toward achieving this goal.
Willingness and ability to travel to community events and partners through out the Mid-Atlantic region, as well as possible travel to the Oakland Headquarters.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL & MENTAL DEMANDS
Requires prolonged sitting with some bending, stooping and stretching, eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, telephone, photocopier, calculator and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to communicate with volunteers as well as maintain Reading Center records. Also requires flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. This is a full time, exempt, salaried position with comprehensive benefits and generous vacation and sick time.
Please submit the following application materials:
- A cover letter describing your interest in the position, relevant experience/qualifications, and salary history for the past three roles.
Reading Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer, with a strong commitment to diversity in the workplace.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Position will remain posted until filled. No phone inquiries.