Executive Director - Los Angeles Region
Executive Leadership (Regional) | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Executive Director - Los Angeles Region
Reading Partners launched in 2001 with the mission to expand opportunities for children in underserved communities by fostering a lifelong love of reading, developing strong literacy skills, and building the confidence and self-esteem critical to empowerment and community development. Reading Partners provides children with robust one-on-one reading support through a structured, research-based curriculum that engages students and provides basic building blocks to supplement their academic growth. On average, Reading Partners students gain 1.6 months of reading skills for every month in the program.
Working in partnership with teachers, schools, and community volunteers, Reading Partners has grown from serving 100 students in 2003 in northern California with a budget of $180,000 to serving over 5,000 students in California, Washington, D.C., New York, Texas, and Maryland with a budget of almost $13M. A recipient of significant Social Innovation Fund funding through the Edna McConnell Clark Foundation, Reading Partners has plans for continued rapid growth into other regions. For more information about Reading Partners, please visit www.readingpartners.org.
WHAT WE DO AND HOW WE DO IT
Reading Partners is dedicated to transforming struggling young readers into confident readers who are excited about learning.
How we do it:
- Focus on children from low-income communities.
- Give one-on-one instruction at the student’s reading level.
- Recruit and train community volunteers to work with children.
- Partner with high-need elementary schools to offer an effective program on campus.
- Provide a way for volunteers to give a small amount of their time to make a huge difference in a child’s life.
Reading Partners is seeking a highly professional, dynamic, self-motivated leader to be the Executive Director in our Los Angeles Region. S/he will oversee programs serving 10 elementary schools, lead a program, development, and administrative staff of 12-15 people, and have bottom line fiscal responsibility and partnership development for the region.
The ideal candidate is a social entrepreneur who has deep connections to the K-5 educational and/or non-profit sector, state/local officials and philanthropic leaders who can accelerate Reading Partners regional program expansion. This person will lead the entire region, acting as the primary contact to both internal and external stakeholders.
- The Executive Director – LA Region reports to the VP of Field Operations for the Western US.
- This position will work closely with the Reading Partners regional boards in specific sites as well as with the national board of directors.
- Serve as the overall executive manager of field operations for the LA Region.
- Build organizational infrastructure and capacity to support future growth.
- Oversee all business functions of the LA region (accounting, HR, IT, legal, etc.).
- Provide executive oversight of all program operations: compliance, quality assurance, and program efficacy.
- Develop and manage regional boards to provide effective local leadership and ambassadorship.
- Cultivate and manage donor relationships across the region.
- Collaborate with Development staff to identify potential funders across LA
- Raise private and municipal funds setting goals for annual increases.
- Set, meet and exceed, annual fund development goals for the LA region.
Staff Coaching and Management
- Build and support a high-caliber staff of program, development, and operations professionals.
- Oversee and deliver professional development and management training for regional staff.
- Create and lead a broad coalition of nonprofit, for-profit, and governmental entities to affect students’ reading success.
- Engage and manage relationships with elected officials and public sector partners (municipal, school board, state and district staff for Congressional offices) to support advancement of Reading Partners as a key partner in the educational system in the region.
- Support Reading Partners’ role in the policy dialogue around literacy, education and national service.
- Increase organizational visibility and profile in local media markets through the successful implementation of a regional communications plan.
- Serve as primary local public spokesperson for Reading Partners, acting as the public face of the organization within the region.
- Develop strategic partnerships to support Reading Partners’ outreach and volunteer recruitment efforts.
- Experience working with nonprofits, school districts, government officials, and philanthropic organizations in the LA area.
- Demonstrated success in staff recruitment, leadership, management, and development.
- Established success in developing and executing fundraising strategies.
- Proven accomplishments in front-line fundraising.
- Demonstrated ability managing large and complex operating budgets.
- Exceptional communication, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision in a fast-paced, highly adaptive environment.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Excellent computer skills.
- M.Ed., MBA, or other relevant postgraduate degree.
- Experience in the field of K-5 education, especially within the context of Title I schools.
- Experience working with nationally or regionally scaled nonprofits, especially high growth nonprofits.
- Experience working with local nonprofits, school districts, government officials, and philanthropic organizations in the region.
Local Travel within the LA region regular on a weekly basis. Occasional trips to the Oakland national office and offices in other states may be required, including overnight stays.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL & MENTAL DEMANDS
Requires prolonged sitting with some bending, stooping and stretching; eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, telephone, photocopier, calculator and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare and communicate appropriate reports. Also requires moderate to intense concentration due to complexity and/or need to meet deadlines, and flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Competitive and commensurate with experience. This is a full-time, exempt position with comprehensive benefit plan including health, dental and vision benefits, vacation, and sick time.
TO APPLY, SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING ITEMS
- Cover letter highlighting reasons for your interest in the position, relevant experience/qualifications for the position, and salary history.
Reading Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer, with a strong commitment to diversity in the workplace.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Position will remain posted until filled. No phone inquiries.