Director of Volunteer Engagement
Operations & IT | Oakland, CA | Full Time
Director of Volunteer Engagement
Reading Partners launched in 1999 with the mission to expand opportunities for children in underserved communities by fostering a lifelong love of reading, developing strong literacy skills, and building the confidence and self-esteem critical to empowerment and community development. Reading Partners provides children with robust one-on-one reading support through a structured, research-based curriculum that engages students and provides basic building blocks to supplement their academic growth. On average, Reading Partners students gain 1.6 months of reading skills for every month in the program.
Working in partnership with teachers, schools, and community volunteers, Reading Partners has grown from serving 100 students in 2003 in northern California with a budget of $180,000 to serving over 5,000 students in California, Washington, D.C., New York, Texas, Maryland, and Colorado with a budget of over $13M. As one of only a handful of nonprofits to receive two highly competitive federal Social Innovation Fund grants, Reading Partners has plans for continued rapid growth into other regions. For more information about Reading Partners, please visit www.readingpartners.org.
WHAT WE DO AND HOW WE DO IT
Reading Partners is dedicated to transforming struggling young readers into confident readers who are excited about learning.
How we do it:
- Focus on children from low-income communities.
- Give one-on-one instruction at the student’s reading level.
- Recruit and train community volunteers to work with children.
- Partner with high-need elementary schools to offer an effective program on campus.
- Provide a way for volunteers to give a small amount of their time to make a huge difference in a child’s life.
The Director of Volunteer Engagement is the national leader for volunteer outreach, recruitment and partnership cultivation. The Director of Volunteer Engagement manages Reading Partners’ high-level national relationships, is the systems owner and developer, and works with a team of Regional Executive Directors, Outreach Managers, and Outreach Coordinators across the country. This leadership role provides an opportunity to manage, grow, and expand the organization’s footprint across the country.
- The Director of Volunteer Engagement reports to COO.
Leadership and Strategic Management
- Develop, refine, and support the implementation of Reading Partners’ national volunteer outreach and volunteer relations strategy and systems.
- Lead organization-wide effort to orient, recruit, and recognize volunteers, and engage volunteers in new capacities beyond traditional one-on-one tutoring.
- Work with the regional evaluation team to create and implement outreach plans for new regional launches.
- Design and facilitate volunteer outreach and systems trainings for staff.
- Assist Regional Executive Directors in hiring Outreach Managers and Coordinators.
- Work in cooperation with other Reading Partners’ national leaders to ensure that all national goals (volunteer outreach, program outcomes, fund development, etc) are met.
Systems and Project Management
- Provide organization-wide leadership and decision making on outreach systems; tutor trainings, Salesforce/data tracking, volunteer on-boarding and off-boarding, background checks, tutor recognition, and the tutor code of conduct.
- Own and manage all volunteer-related data and analytics, including survey results and real-time systems performance, and make system improvements and recommendations.
Marketing, Communications, and Relationship Management
- Drive messaging and communication efforts to and for Reading Partners’ volunteers (current, potential and alumni volunteers).
- Cultivate and steward relationships with national volunteer partners.
- Collaborate with our Advancement Team to direct and implement marketing and communications strategies to track, recruit, and engage volunteers.
- Manage and direct the development and production of marketing materials and promotional products.
- Oversee and direct market research and analysis regarding volunteer demographics, market segmentation, and targeted messaging strategies.
- 5+ years of project and team management: successful project completion and implementation, and experience training and coaching volunteers or staff.
- Proven success building systems to manage geographically disperse operations that cross either functional or departmental boundaries.
- Personal history of volunteerism.
- Demonstrated abilities to manage growing outreach or volunteer engagement programs.
- Exceptional communication, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Experience using data, systems, and reporting, to guide decision-making and to monitor and improve performance.
- Demonstrated success in community partnership cultivation and mobilization.
- A commitment to local accountability and an understanding of the role of a national leader who must build national and regional relationships across departmental lines.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision in a fast-paced, highly adaptive environment.
- Ability to interact effectively with diverse groups.
- Excellent computer skills.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- MBA, MPA or other relevant postgraduate degree.
- Experience in the field of volunteer engagement in an educational setting.
- Experience working with nationally or regionally scaled high growth nonprofits.
- Campaign or community organizing experience.
The Director of Volunteer Engagement is based out of our Oakland, CA national office and travels to Reading Partners’ regional offices monthly.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL & MENTAL DEMANDS
Requires prolonged sitting with some bending, stooping and stretching, eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, telephone, photocopier, calculator and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare and communicate appropriate reports. Also requires moderate to intense concentration due to complexity and/or need to meet deadlines, and flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
This is a full-time, exempt, salaried position with comprehensive health, dental and vision benefits and a generous vacation, sick and holiday schedule. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Please submit the following application materials:
- Thoughtful cover letter: describe your interest in the position, relevant experience/qualifications, and salary history for the last three positions held.
Reading Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer, with a strong commitment to diversity in the workplace.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Position will remain posted until filled. No phone inquiries, please.