Senior IT Systems & Network Engineer
Computer & Network Engineering | Milford, IA | Full Time
Our Senior IT Systems & Network Engineers hold a wealth of knowledge regarding complex LAN and WAN network infrastructure. They are able to provide the highest level of network system maintenance and support, and are expected to have leading-class knowledge of hardware, software, networking, and security. A Senior Systems & Network Engineer should have years of experience working in the field, and should have a strong background in customer service and team leadership. Individuals must possess excellent technical and troubleshooting skills, and must also have outstanding personal skills as working closely with customers is imperative.
*Note: This position is generally not remote. We may consider select remote candidates who are located within Iowa. Candidates outside of Iowa will be required to relocate to the Iowa Great Lakes region.
Qualified Candidates Must:
- Communicate effectively with customers on both a technical and non-technical level.
- Work as part of a team as well as work unsupervised.
- Strive to constantly learn new technology and devices.
- Be motivated and self-managed.
- Often travel to customer locations to directly work with customers and resolve issues on-site.
Common Duties and Tasks:
- Identify, propose, design, and deliver appropriate infrastructure upgrades/projects for customers to enable a more productive, secure and stable environment in line with best-in-class IT practices.
- Meet with new customers to discuss their challenges and goals, and work with them to develop plans to address those challenges and to reach their goals, while still maintaining secure baselines and adhering to best practices.
- Design complex LAN and WAN infrastructure
- Install, configure, repair, maintain, troubleshoot, and diagnose PCs, servers, virtualization infrastructure, network switches, routers, firewalls, wireless access points, network software, VLANs, VPNs, and nearly any high-level issue that may occur in the enterprise.
- Respond to network alerts and customer issues to remediate issues in an efficient manner.
- Expediently answer customer calls, diagnose issues, respond quickly, and complete the service loop.
- Work with Level 2 Computer Network Technician to determine server and other equipment specifications for customer projects.
- Specify accurate time and material requirements for large-scale customer projects such as facilities expansions and virtualization implementations.
- Design and implementation of new Windows Server-based infrastructure
- Management, deployment, and troubleshooting of Active Directory and Group Policies.
- Management, deployment, and troubleshooting of varied email systems, such as Office 365.
- Detailed troubleshooting of email flow issues, where a strong knowledge of DNS is required.
- Carefully organize customer documentation through project lifecycles.
- Service auditing, for example:
- o Periodically validating backups are configured to back up all data on all volumes, at specified intervals, and to all appropriate media.
- o Periodically validating firewall rules do not allow unnecessary traffic inbound or outbound.
- o Periodically validating that all machines on the network meet the specified baseline security settings.
- Test and implement new technologies for in-house as well as customer facilities.
- Implement monitoring and automation for various systems using in-house and third-party platforms.
- LAN and WAN design, including implementation of VLANs and VPNs.
- Server operating systems, up to Windows Server 2020
- Microsoft Active Directory, including group policies
- DNS, HTTP, HTTPS, SNMP, SMTP, POP3, IMAP, as well as other protocols
- DNSSEC, SPF, DMARC
- Ethernet, VLANS, VPNs, switching and routing, OSPF, BGP
- Wireless networking 802.11n/ac/ax
- Server virtualization using VMWare and VCenter
- NAS devices, security, and configuration
- Physical network infrastructure, including cabling standards
- Thorough understanding of Microsoft SQL, Microsoft Exchange, Skype for Business
- SAN (Storage Area Networks), iSCSI, fiber channel, SAN management, LUN configuration & management, Dell Compellent
- Scripting for the purposes of automation, such as through PowerShell, batch files, VBScript
- Knowledge of RMM products such as ConnectWise and Kaseya
- Cisco CCNA/CCNP/CCDA/CCSP/CCIE
- CompTIA Net+
- CompTIA Security+
- Work in a fun, team environment
- Professional development and training opportunities
- Gain crucial experience with a variety of real-world projects
- Learn from respected industry experts on best practices
- Unlimited Coffee
- Conveniently located near Highway 71
- Employer-paid health insurance contribution
- Medical (cafeteria) plan
- Paid Individual Life, Dental, Vision and Long-Term Disability coverage
- Paid Vacation time
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Time Off (PTO) sick days and personal days
- Jury duty and bereavement benefits
- Allowance for use of personal cell phone.
- Performance-based bonuses
- 401K Match
- Health savings and flexing spend options
- Voluntary Short-Term Disability Coverage
- Voluntary Life Insurance (Additional Coverage Options)
- Additional coverage options to include spouses and families
R & D Industries, Inc. (RDI) is a 37-year old Iowa corporation and winner of the 2010 Iowa Small Business Excellence Award. RDI was listed in both 2014 and 2015 Inc Magazine’s Inc-5000 as one of the fastest-growing privately held companies in the US. In 2019, RDI's Thinix division was recognized for managed service excellence as one of the Top 500 MSPs in the US.
RDI provides competitive pay, paid vacations, paid holidays, paid personal days, group health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, disability insurance, life insurance, 401k retirement plan, and other benefits. RDI has offices in Milford and Ames. This is an excellent opportunity for the right individual to work in a growing, fun environment within one of the top technology companies in the region. Join us and be a part of a special team right here in Iowa!
Join us and be a part of a special team right here in Iowa!
R & D Industries, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and proud supporter of the Home Base Iowa Initiative for more details see: HomeBaseIowa.gov
About Okoboji, IA:
R & D Industries (RDI) in Milford is located just minutes south of Okoboji and the Iowa Lakes Corridor — a place that allows for a balance in life. Living within the communities of the Iowa Lakes Corridor allows you to have it all. This area provides you with the ability to spend quality time with your friends and family while meeting your career objectives. Enjoy easy and scenic commutes, excellent schools with small class sizes, safe communities to live in and endless recreational and cultural opportunities year-round.
Within the Iowa Lakes Corridor, there are progressive and distinctive communities each with its own history, character, and lifestyle. Find affordable housing in a variety of beautiful communities and neighborhoods.
The Iowa Lakes Corridor’s award-winning, highly rated schools produce exceptionally educated students. Our higher education system, including Buena Vista University, Iowa Lakes Community College and Iowa Central Community College, is a valued partner in the lifelong learning of our residents, advanced education, high tech training, and job retraining of our workforce. Within the Iowa Lakes Corridor, there is a great diversification of professional healthcare services with caring family doctors and surgeons along with state-of-the-art hospitals and healthcare facilities.
The Iowa Lakes Corridor…the Good Life.