C/Rust Embedded Systems Software Engineer, Full-time
Thinix | Ames, IA | Full Time
R & D Industries, Inc. (RDI) is seeking a talented, full-time Embedded Systems Software Engineer with concentrated experience in C and Rust. Candidates should have experience with low-level programming, firmware and/or operating systems development, multi-threaded applications in C, and MIPS or ARM architectures. Our Software Engineers quickly become integrated as members of Thinix’s core development team and will get a chance to work on new and emerging products.
This position is for:
iStatus.com, iStatus proactively monitors your internet connections to alert you when something goes wrong, alerting users and network administrators with clean, easy-to-understand notifications. Typically, you never know when these networks are offline until it's too late. With iStatus you'll become the first to know and be able to take appropriate actions immediately, thus shortening downtime and saving you money.
iStatus is integrated with our product family RocketBroadband to keep businesses online 24/7/365. At the heart of all RocketBroadband products sits a goal; to eliminate Internet downtime and improve Internet connectivity that's critical to business success. With a diverse portfolio, RocketBroadband products are tailor-made solutions that partner with the world’s leading carriers to deliver connectivity services (broadband, satellite, 4G LTE) for an assorted customer base.
New or recent college graduates are encouraged to apply!
This position will be located in our Ames, Iowa research office.
- Engineer Embedded Software for iStatus (90%)
- Research, Development, and Prototyping (10%)
- 12+ months of experience with C programming and embedded systems development
- Environments: OpenWRT or LEDE firmware building, Linux, Visual Studio Code
- Experience working with:
- API's from C
- Raspberry Pi's
- UART + SSH interfacing
- Imaging / Flashing of WiFi Routers
- Understand network architecture and how the internet works
- Experience with web development with C# / .NET Core
- Experience with database architecture
- End-to-End engineering (requirements to finished product)
- Front-end: Angular (or equivalent), JSON, REST Architecture / WebAPI
- Back-end: ASP.NET preferred. Experience with SQL databases.
- Experience with algorithms / math minors / math majors
- Experience with code complexity and efficiencies
- Strong work ethic, Self-starter
- Interpersonal communication skills
- Awareness of timelines, objectives, and goals
- Work in a fun, team environment
- Professional development and training opportunities
- Gain crucial experience in developing end-to-end systems in real-world projects
- Learn from respected industry experts on best practices
- Ability to work on multiple projects
- Unlimited Coffee
- Conveniently located adjacent to the ISU Research Park
- Employer-paid health insurance contribution
- Medical (cafeteria) plan
- Paid Individual Life, Dental, Vision and Long-Term Disability coverage
- Paid Vacation time
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Time Off (PTO) sick days and personal days
- Jury duty and bereavement benefits
- Allowance for use of personal cell phone.
- Performance-based bonuses
- 401K Match
- Health savings and flexing spend options
- Voluntary Short-Term Disability Coverage
- Voluntary Accident Insurance
- Voluntary Critical Illness Insurance
- Voluntary Life Insurance (Additional Coverage Options)
- Additional coverage options to include spouses and families
Thinix is a division of R & D Industries, Inc. (RDI) which is a 35-year old Iowa corporation and winner of the 2010 Iowa Small Business Excellence Award. RDI was listed in both 2014 and 2015 Inc Magazine’s Inc-5000 as one of the fastest growing privately held companies in the US. In 2019, RDI's Thinix division was recognized for managed service excellence as one of the Top 500 MSPs in the US.
RDI is a technology research, development and engineering firm with market focus in Engineering, Software Development, OEM Software and Hardware solutions, User Interface Technology, Teleconferencing, Embedded Systems architecture, Cryptography, Network and PC security architecture, as well as cloud computing and virtualization solutions. Thinix technology is installed worldwide in Hospitality, Education, Government, Healthcare, Military and Agricultural applications.
Join us and be a part of a special team right here in Iowa!
R & D Industries, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and proud supporter of the Home Base Iowa Initiative for more details see: HomeBaseIowa.gov
About Ames, IA:
Welcome to Iowa's absolutely fabulous city!
Whether you're in town for business, to catch a game or just a quick visit, you'll enjoy an array of options to meet your needs and expenses. During the day you can find local shopping in our downtown boutiques. Hang out in one of our 35 woodland parks. Hop on our 55 miles of bike and pedestrian trails. Take a swing at one of our five different golf courses. Or do what we do best and cheer for the best college teams in the nation! Ames has been awarded many top rankings online from #1 college town to the lowest unemployment in the country and some of the top schools in the state. You will find Ames is a wonderful place to call home.