Senior System Administrator
Information Technology | Hampton, VA | Contract
Radiant Digital delivers technology consulting and business solutions for commercial and government clients.
Our flexible delivery model allows us to provide end-to-end solution delivery, single project execution, and, or strategic resources.
CMMI Maturity Level III and ISO 9001 – 2015 certified.
The Senior System Administrator will be at the forefront of deploying new technologies at client. Day to day duties shall include maintaining of current systems, including Active Directory, VMware, SCCM and Remote Access/RDS. The Senior System Administrator shall take an active role in architecting and implementing enterprise wide solutions and advising on escalations from other team members. The Senior System Admin shall also participate on the Change Advisory Board and ensure all changes are well planned and executed, communicated, and have a rollback plan. Assist in the development and improvement of client information technology services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• (Duties listed are neither intended to be all inclusive nor to limit duties that might reasonably be assigned.)
• Involved in all phases of test system design, including requirements generation, hardware design, software development and system integration.
• Monitors internal network and operations.
• Troubleshoots and repairs system operations accordingly.
• Evaluates internal and on-site hardware and software, including output and telecommunications equipment.
• Evaluate, recommend, and implement Enterprise class Backup and Restoration System of production data File systems, AD, SQL, Exchange on physical and virtual servers.
• Works on assignments and special projects that promote the successful enhancement of client’s operation systems.
• Interacts daily with supervisor and peer groups to gain knowledge of latest technologies available.
• Provide ad hoc user training as required to help customers effectively utilize client computerised systems.
• Coordinates selection and purchase of data processing hardware and software for client.
• Explore and possibly implement new technologies to automate tasks related to client workstations and/or servers.
• Implement backup routine for all client networked computer systems.
• Provide development and/or maintenance of specialized client software programs.
• Deploy corporate applications such as Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat Reader via a central solution for standardization and efficiency.
• Implement and manage server-based applications used to update workstations and servers, control and monitor Internet traffic and other network management applications.
• Monitor various system logs for problems or unusual behavior.
• Update and maintain server operating systems.
• Designs and implements various projects such as P2V/Virtualization, Office 365, Exchange Migration, etc.
• Manage records created and received in compliance with the client
• Records Management Policy and Procedures.
• Responsible for maintaining a general awareness of client’s Safety and Security Plan.
• Responsible for handling all related job responsibilities in accordance to client’s
• Environmental Policy, relevant Safety and Security Procedures, Emergency Management Plan and all client’s Policies.
• Performs other duties as required by the Manager of Technology Services.
Required Knowledge, Abilities and Skills essential to Job
Functions In depth knowledge of Microsoft server operating systems, Active Directory, DNS, DHCP and server hardware is essential. In depth knowledge of backup exec or other backup application. Experience working with VMware 5.5+. Experience with Microsoft Remote Desktop Services. Ability to install, configure and troubleshoot server operating systems, software, and related hardware is required. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing. Ability to quickly identify problems and implement solutions with minimal downtime. Critical thinking – Using logic and analysis to identify the strengths and weaknesses of different approaches. Ability to lead a team or work independently as the task requires. Co-exist with colleagues and provide mentorship. Be able to quantify decisions with solid reasoning and justification. Broad understanding of Windows operating systems including SQL, Exchange, System Center, SQL, Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, DMZ, Clustering and file servers. Broad understanding of WAN/LAN communications. VMware management. Configuration, Migration and Upgrades. Understanding of shared storage (SAN/NAS environments). Ability to utilize software and hardware diagnostic tools to identify, diagnose and repair complex problems and factors affecting systems performance. Ability and flexibility to perform several engineering tasks at one time unsupervised. Sound communication skills. Maintain awareness of advances in information technology and recommend modifications to client systems as required. Strong team-oriented work ethic.
Required Software Knowledge and Skills Essential to Job
Functions Proficiency in using computer systems and the listed software applications associated with performance of assigned work is essential. Basic problem-solving skills associated with software applications used is expected. Software usage relevant to job duties will be evaluated.
Software applications: Familiarity with MS Office Suite required.
Training and/or Education: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Information Systems or a related field.
Required Experience: Ten (10) plus years of IT experience with five (5) years of system administration supporting Windows in network environment. Experience with networking protocols, particularly TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, and WINS; knowledge of server hardware and troubleshooting skills are essential; knowledge of data storage systems and virtualisation is desirable; experience in server backup technologies; worked in an environment that utilised Change Management and other ITIL concepts; Unix, Linux and Cisco experience is a plus; cloud services such as: Office 365, Amazon, Microsoft Azure, VMware cloud; and networking experience including: IP addressing, NAT, VLAN and troubleshooting.
Certificates MCSE 2008 (or newer preferred)