The Network Systems (NS) organization manages business critical platforms that provide 3G, 4G, 5G data services to Client Wireless Operations & Performance engineering teams. The Operations Engineer will be responsible for operational, engineering, and performance related functions for the Netscout suite of tools, including Irisview & nGenius One applications.
The Operations Engineer will lead the end to end operations, engineering, and performance monitoring of the current directional Irisview tool and nGenius One (CDS, DNS, MPN, & Adhoc) deployments within VZW. The Operations Engineer will build relationships with a number of key stakeholders across a variety of teams including: Netscout Engineering, Extreme (fBrocade) & Keysight (fIxia) packet brokers, Maintenance Engineering Lab, Core Performance team, and multiple downstream application support teams.
The Operations Engineer will evaluate & investigate the daily health checks for all systems; investigate and triage potential network and/or tool related issues impacting daily reporting, manage trouble tickets, and coordinate change control events with local teams and Netscout OSE’s as required. The Operations Engineer will be engaged with Netscout Engineering and vendor support teams for testing patches, feature requests and/or enhancements, and major releases in the lab and support the production rollout.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant technical discipline or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum 4-5 years of systems operations, engineering, and/or system performance experience.
- 5 years’ experience with Layer 2 – Layer 7 packet data concepts: TCP/IP and UDP, routing, basic LAN/WAN network connectivity, switching, DNS, etc.
- 3 years’ hands on experience with LINUX and/or UNIX systems.
- Prior experience with virtual environment: OpenStack, Webscale, Kubernetes
- Fluent in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio)
- Strong experience developing/maintaining support tools on UNIX platforms (shell scripting//Python).
- Experience with SNMP; SevOne, Airwave, and other related performance tools is preferable
- Knowledge of 3GPP architecture; experience with VoLTE, IMS, SIP, LTE
- Strong technical, analytical skills.
- Ability to be creative and design solutions for customers.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
- Strong initiative and self-starter skills.
- Experience supporting commercial, 24x7, Internet/customer-facing systems
- Experience with vendor management
- Background in supporting virtualization and cloud computing environments a plus.
- Red Hat, OpenStack, Oracle, CCNA, or related certifications are a plus, but not required.
Nice to have
Hands-on and/or expert skills in one or more of the following technology areas are highly desirable:
- Data Center application server technologies: Sun, Motorola, HP, Dell
- Operating Systems: Solaris, Linux, UNIX, Windows, Databases – Oracle, MySQL, etc.
- Protocols: SNMP, RADIUS, LDAP, HTTP, SOAP, SMPP, SMTP, SS7, SIP, DIAMETER, DNS, FLUTE
- Prior Knowledge of VOLTE, IMS, TCPIP, SIP, LTE protocols
- Familiarity with SAFe/Agile framework & methodology.