Head of People
People | HQ, San Francisco, CA | Full Time
SUMMARY OF POSITION
This position is an exciting opportunity to truly create an HR vision from the ground up for Quay Australia, a growing, buzz-worthy brand that has a culture unlike any other. We are looking for our Head of People to improve operations, formulate the HR strategy, develop our talent, and ensure safety/compliance in the workplace post-COVID-19. Here, you will be a major player as teams reenter the workplace, while others keep flexing their work from home muscle, and we all get used to this “new normal.” The Head of People will wear many hats and work at both the strategic and tactical level, acting as a “player-coach” for the team. On any given day, this person could be designing new, scalable programs and frameworks, advising, and coaching leaders, and iterating on how we can improve our ability to work as a team. The Head of People will be involved in all the key moments of an employee's lifecycle which results in a wide breadth of responsibilities and opportunities. If this sounds like what you’re looking for in your next gig, see below to learn more about what you’ll be doing and what skills we hope you’ll bring with you in joining our Quay Squad!
- Develop deep relationships and build trust with senior leadership, acting as an advisor and advocate. Serve as a strategic thought partner to business leaders on people-related strategies and engagements.
- Address issues around organizational design, process, and workflows to help teams operate more effectively.
- Autonomously lead the design, implementation, and iteration of new People programs as well as assess and improve current People programs.
- Spearhead the development of Diversity & Inclusion initiatives as part of the employee experience.
- Bring Wellness to work – create programs focusing on mental health, work/life balance, and collaborate with employees to authentically understand their personal needs during the pandemic.
- Guide and positively influence our culture as we grow and change, protecting the unique essence of our Quay Squad.
- Coach and function as an advocate and resource to all employees to resolve key issues.
Compliance & Safety:
- Educate the organization on all new procedures post-COVID-19 (sanitation practices, leave of absence protocol, WFH policies, training to roll out).
- Independently research most recent federal guidelines, the virus’ impact on the workplace, what it means for our employees, and how people are to be managed during this unique time. Synthesize the data into org-appropriate policies to ensure compliance and employee engagement.
- Advise on gradual return to work rollout, putting employee safety at the forefront as we reopen more smartly than swiftly.
- Develop and manage overall recruiting and talent management plan in partnership with the Finance and Recruiting teams.
- Own and implement our benefits and compensation, learning & development (onboarding to continuous education), performance management, and employee/employer compliance programs.
- Establish talent planning within the org, predicating needs based on future growth while evaluating existing structure to drive toward optimal talent utilization.
- Utilize people metrics to drive key insights and decisions around growth and retention.
Key Working Relationships: CEO, Senior Leadership team, CFO (+may have some interaction with the Board)
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- 10+ years of progressive HR leadership experience (current level Sr. Director and above) – with extensive experience in managing teams, advising leadership, and influencing across the organization.
- Strong thought leadership and knowledge of best practices in People Ops – ideally possessing a familiarity with employment law, compliance issues, and leave policies to address workplace challenges presented by COVID-19.
- Quay traits of our Squad: constantly curious, unapologetically bold, driven by synergy, connects the dots with ease, always inventing, and equally resourceful as is adaptable.
- Breadth of experience across small and large companies alike. We want your knowledge of both sectors to bring tried and true best practices to Quay while concurrently introducing new ideas and a unique perspective to the organization.
- Must understand how to ramp up HR in a rapidly growing company, establishing scalable strategies and innovative HR practices / policies.
- Global experience is ideal – we are a global company and understanding the different HR needs of each region is paramount. Create initiatives to strengthen communication between offices, ensure a consistent culture in different locations and come with global mindset as policies/procedures are formulated.
- Direct-to-Consumer (eCommerce) experience preferred, as the business operates from a digital-first and omnichannel mindset. This will bring a unique understanding of back end operations, what HR needs exist for different types of employees (ex: corporate Web Developer vs. retail Sales Associate), and enough context to consult on how we can quickly invert our business model with the changing times.
- Passion for developing talent, enriching our culture, bringing diversity into the fold, and keeping us ahead of the curve to attract and retain talent with our stellar HR programs.
- Excellent relationship builder – able to gain trust and buy-in quickly while having the agility to communicate and collaborate with everyone in the Quay Squad, from our CEO to the Interns without skipping a beat.
- Comfortable with conflict management, with a proven track record of disarming disputes, advocating for employees, and providing a safe environment where issues can be addressed.
- Solid organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills. Can develop solutions quickly and stay focused on the target despite ambiguity.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources or related fields (or equivalent validated work experience).
The Company reserves the right to alter, change, abolish and even combine jobs depending upon changing conditions.