Global Design Director
Product Development & Merchandising | HQ, San Francisco, CA | Full Time
POSITION TITLE: Global Design Director
REPORTS TO: Sr Director Product / Merchandising
DEPARTMENT: Product Development & Merchandising
SUPERVISES: Sr Designer & Jr Designer
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
The Design Director is responsible for creating designs and develops trend strategies that support merchant objectives. This position is responsible for setting seasonal fashion direction, direct all aspects of design, development, selection and approval of materials, shapes, colors and techniques for the season. Direct and manage the entire Design Team for the area of responsibility. The Design Director must be able to develop and execute a strategic vision, with a progressive, customer centric approach all while delivering on sales and profit objectives. This role requires the ability to demonstrate a deep understanding of the customer, recognizing trend, product /trend lifecycle to accurately predict customer readiness for new trend.
- Lead and drive global long term and seasonal creative direction and product concepts for all product lines across the business. (Primary 15%)
- In conjunction with Merchandising, responsible for visualizing and determining strategic direction of business; accountable for process improvement, growing business and seeking opportunities to positively affect division/company. (Collab 15%)
- Fully responsible for ensuring that product is consistent with customer needs and market trends as well as business strategy; interprets international/domestic concepts and fashion trends as it relates to market demands, company image and business strategy. (Primary 10%)
- Manage the of product design integrity and IP process, both with design and naming cadence. (Primary 5%)
- Drives the research, planning and development of Global Innovation in partnership with sourcing and factory resources. (Primary 10%)
- Fully responsible for managing staff in all aspects of entire product design process to include market research, mood board creation, must have shapes, new shape design, sketching, CAD and fit, identifying and executing opportunities for process improvement. (Primary 15%)
- Responsible for executing seasonal color palettes, shape development and technique innovation. (Primary 15%)
- Develops and tracks a design schedule to ensure timely completion of designs and design packages according to the development calendar, specifically for Sketch Review and on-time handover to Production. (Collab 10%)
- Researches industry and trade shows for new materials, colors, and design trends. ((Primarty 5%)
Key Working Relationships:
This person is required to have strong working relationship with brand team, merchandising, production and all member of the Leadership Team.
Required Skills & Experience:
- You have 8+ years of relevant education and experience in design and product development within design as well as relevant eyewear experience with 5+ years of experience setting strategies and leading teams.
- Considered an expert within the product creation lifecycle.
- Strong understanding of price/value relationship.
- Expert level Adobe CS suite, with expert level Illustrator
- Experience leading your team and developing to suit varying levels of skill and experience.
- Comfortable operating in a fast-paced environment and lead your team through ambiguity and provide structure when needed to drive results.
- Great communicator - clear, intentional, and influential communicator both internally and externally.
- Travel domestic & international expected 3-4 times per year (10%)
- This position is based in an office environment. Primarily sedentary work with occasional exertion of up to 10 pounds of force to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
- Must be able to perform essential functions (with or without an accommodation) without posing a "direct threat" to the health and safety to self or others.
The Company reserves the right to alter, change, abolish and even combine jobs depending upon changing conditions.