Product Development & Merchandising | HQ, San Francisco, CA | Temporary
POSITION TITLE: Designer
REPORTS TO: Sr. Director Product / Merchandising
DEPARTMENT: Product Development & Merchandising
SUPERVISES: No direct reports
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Temp, FT-exempt, potential for conversion to regular, FT
The Designer is responsible for managing the development of product in both eyewear & accessories lines from trend concept, product design hand-off, through QA of first delivery. The role is responsible for creating and maintaining a consistent brand range related to Quay’s vision, customer needs and trend. The Designer will work with all members of the Product and Merch team, ensuring successful development and introduction of the entire product line. Success in this role will be measured through the creation of the product design and level at which the product aligns with the brands vision and fundamental brand aesthetic.
Duration and Status: Temporary, full-time, non-benefitted. This opportunity has an anticipated 6-month duration; the potential for conversion to a regular, full-time role may be possible dependent on business conditions and need.
- Lead process for all design and prototype development from concept kick-off to final sample approval across eyewear line, ensuring high quality, on-time completions (Primary Responsibility 20%)
- Communicate with Quay’s Sourcing/Production partners to manage current development, investigate, research new materials, techniques, and material options (Primary Responsibility 20%)
- Conduct market research, in order to inform future style direction and upcoming trend; build inspiration boards that set overall category design direction (Primary Responsibility 15%)
- Research trend and present upcoming must-haves, color direction, and key shapes for the team (Primary Responsibility 15%)
- Communicate CAD concept into Technical 3D CAD ready sketches (Collaborative 10%)
- Maintain and monitor design development calendar (Collaborative 5%)
- Review samples with all key cross-functional groups for final approvals (Collaborative 5%)
- Maintain records of all prototypes, samples and approvals (Primary Responsibility 5%)
- Communicate product direction, intent, and trend-messaging to Quay partners and leadership (Collaborative 5%)
Budget Owner: No
Fiscal Accountabilities: n/a
Key Working Relationships:
This person is required to have strong working relationship with merchandising, production and all member of the Leadership Team.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in experience and training required
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in Product Development/Design role
- Knowledge of eyewear industry strongly preferred
- Solid working knowledge of MS Office, Word, Excel, online calendar, Adobe CS (Illustrator and CAD).
- Ability to work with individuals on a global level
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent organization skills, detail oriented and ability to multitask
- Travel domestic & international expected 3-4 times per year (10%)
- This position is based in an office environment. Primarily sedentary work with occasional exertion of up to 10 pounds of force to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
- Must be able to perform essential functions (with or without an accommodation) without posing a "direct threat" to the health and safety to self or others.
The Company reserves the right to alter, change, abolish and even combine jobs depending upon changing conditions.