Product Development & Merchandising | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Our Story: We were born roadside on the festival circuit, surrounded by music artists and festival goers who inspired us to create notoriously cool, affordable sunnies for the nonconforming and freethinking. From dramatically oversized aviators to reflective lenses and bold cat eyes, Quay Australia has become a favorite for individuals with fearless style, a carefree attitude and fresh perspective.
For over 12 years, we’ve built a #QUAYSQUAD that is loyal, passionate and looks to us to make them stand out in a crowd and set the trend for their latest accessories. Seen on countless celebrities and known for our limited edition influencer collaborations, Quay Australia is the go-to accessible brand for millennial women that makes them feel like they are part of the in crowd.
SUMMARY OF POSITION: The Designer is responsible for managing the development of product in both the eyewear & accessories lines from trend concept, product design, to the hand-off of first delivery to Quality Assurance. This role is responsible for creating and maintaining a consistent range of products related to Quay’s vision, customer needs and market trends. The Designer will work with all members of the Product Development team, ensuring successful development and introduction of the entire product line. Success in this role will be measured through the creation of product designs that reflect and continue Quay’s brand vision and fundamental brand aesthetic.
- Lead all design processes and prototype development from concept kick-off to final sample approval across eyewear line, ensuring high quality and on-time completion (20%)
- Maintain accurate records of all prototypes, samples, records of approval, and technical/dimensional construction and composition information for each style in the product assortment (15%)
- Research industry trends and develop internal presentation of upcoming ‘must-haves’, color direction and key shapes and styles (10%)
- Translate CAD concepts into Technical 3D CAD ready sketch (10%)
- Manage current product development life-cycle by communicating with manufacturers and supply chain partners, evaluating techniques and product options and ensure successful execution of product development (10%)
- Researches, investigates and sources new materials and techniques for new product development (10%)
- Collaborate with Product Director and Design team on color choices, color code and name maintenance (10%)
- Maintain and monitor design development calendar (5%)
- Review samples with key internal partners for final approval (5%)
- Collaborate with Supply Chain on pricing analysis, materials, components, vendor assignment, and scheduling capacities (5%)
Reports to: Director Product Development & Merchandising
Budget Owner: No
Fiscal Accountabilities: N/A
Supervises: Junior Designer / Developer
Key Working Relationships:
This incumbent for this role must establish a strong working relationship with the Merchandising, Production teams and external suppliers.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Bachelors degree or technical certification in Design or equivalent in experience and training required
- Minimum 5 years experience in product development/design role
- Knowledge of eyewear industry strongly preferred
- Strong working knowledge of MS Office, Word, Excel, online calendar, Adobe CS (Illustrator), CAD vector-based design experience a plus.
- Ability to work with individuals in varying regions in a variety of global locations.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent organization skills, detail oriented and ability to multitask
- Domestic & international expected 3-4 times per year (10%)
- This position is based in an office environment. Primarily sedentary work with occasional exertion of up to 10 pounds of force to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
- Must be able to perform essential functions (with or without an accommodation) without posing a "direct threat" to the health and safety to self or others.
The Company reserves the right to alter, change, abolish and even combine jobs depending upon changing conditions.