Hotel - General Manager
Courtyard by Marriott - High Point | High Point, NC | Full Time
Our Parent Company:
- Poteat Hospitality Associates, LLC is a family-owned hotel and restaurant management company located in Laurinburg, NC. Our owners not only manage our properties, but they also own each property. Many of our properties have received numerous awards as we take pride in all of our properties and believe strongly in exceptional guest service. We currently operate six hotels and one restaurant in the state of North Carolina. Our portfolio includes four Courtyard by Marriott properties, one Hampton Inn and Suites by Hilton property, one Best Western PLUS property. We are in the process of developing an Aloft Hotel in Wilmington and another Courtyard by Marriott property
- With more than 330 managed locations in more than 20 countries Courtyard by Marriott offers a refreshing environment that helps guests stay connected and balanced. Working at Courtyard, you'll ensure guests have a smooth, productive stay that meets their personal and business needs. Find Your World™ at Courtyard by Marriott.
- The Courtyard by Marriott High Point is a 4-floor standalone hotel with 100 keys. We are located in High Point, North Carolina, better known as "The Home Furnishings Capital of the World tm". You will find us conveniently located 3 miles from downtown High Point and 1 mile from the extraordinary High Point University. Just minutes away from more than 70 retail stores that feature a vast array of home furnishings to suit every taste. With a multi-cultural background, High Point is rich in history. Relax and enjoy a Starbucks Coffee from our Bistro. We serve a variety of freshly made menu items daily for breakfast and dinner with a 24 hour Starbucks Barista. Unwind while enjoying one of our newly renovated guest rooms, providing world class bedding. And refresh in our indoor saltwater swimming pool, whirlpool, exercise room, or beautifully appointed outdoor courtyard.
Functions as the primary strategic business leader of the property with responsibility for all aspects of the operation, including guest and employee satisfaction, human resources, financial performance, sales and revenue generation and delivering a return on investment to both Marriott International and property ownership. Verifies implementation of service strategy and initiatives with the objective of meeting or exceeding guest expectations, increased profit and market share. Holds property leadership team accountable for strategy execution, and guides their individual professional development. The position verifies that sales engines are leveraged and initiates independent and proactive sales activities, when appropriate, to generate demand. Verifies that the objectives and goals of Marriott and property owners work together to achieve brand positioning and success. Builds owner loyalty through proactive communication, setting and managing expectations and delivering solid business results. The position is actively involved in the local community and builds strong relationships with local officials, businesses, and customers.
The ideal candidate for this role would have previous work experience as a General Manager or Hotel Manager. In addition to local experience, it will be looked upon favorably if the candidate has previous sales experience. The successful candidate will have proven experience leading hotel operations and demonstrated strong sales & marketing leadership, food & beverage flair, and strong financial acumen.
Education and Experience
• 4-year bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 5 years+ experience in the management operations, sales and marketing, finance and accounting, or related professional area.
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Business Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 8 years+ experience in the management operations, sales, and marketing, finance and accounting, or related professional area.
• 10 years+ Marriott experience in management operations, sales, and marketing, finance and accounting, or related professional area.
JOB SPECIFIC TASKS
Business Strategy Development
Stays current with industry trends and monitors strengths and weakness of competition; explores new business opportunities; develops business plans designed to maximize property customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share; ensures property business plans are aligned with the hotel’s business strategies; translates Marriott global strategic plan into one that can be executed on property.
Business Strategy Execution
Executes business plans designed to maximize property customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share; ensures that property business plans and employees are aligned with business strategies; holds property leadership team accountable for successful delivery of business plans; experiments with new ideas and takes calculated risks to improve guest satisfaction and profitability; evaluates the success of property business strategies to inform future business plan enhancements; continually ensures business plans and actions have a positive impact on property performance.
Sales and Marketing
Works closely with Sales and Marketing team to develop revenue-generating strategies for the property; identifies new business leads, develops tailored sales approach, and actively pursues leads with Sales and Marketing team; validates that sales and marketing strategy is aligned with brand strategy and is effectively executed against established goals; verifies that property leaders understand and leverage Marriott demand engines to full potential; augments guest preference for property through booking ease and quality interactions with sales force.
Talent Management and Organizational Capability
Creates a cohesive and high-performance Executive Committee that continuously strives for positive results and improvement; coaches Executive Committee by providing specific feedback and holds them accountable for performance; creates learning and development opportunities for employees; creates and effectively executes development plans for both direct reports based on their individual strengths, development needs, and career aspirations; ensures all managers are doing the same for their direct reports; identifies resource needs to strengthen property team; creates succession plans for future job openings; actively supports the staffing process; ensures effective work processes, systems and teamwork are in place to maximize individual and overall property performance.
Business Information Analysis
Reviews business related data such as market share, financial performance, inventory, employee engagement, and customer satisfaction; analyzes business information to proactively address changing market conditions, ensure property operates within budgetary guidelines, and achieves profit margin goals; uses business information to identify indicators of product and service successes and opportunities for improvement; integrates business information into business plans.
Employee and Labor Relations
Verifies that all employees are treated fairly, and with respect; builds rapport with employees by fostering an environment of open communication and spending time with employees on the frontlines; makes self-available to employees (“open door policy”); verifies that pay and benefits are appropriate for labor market; celebrates the success of employees in a public way; works with Human Resources to maximize employee engagement and monitor local labor environment to address issues as needed.
Works with Revenue Management team to develop effective pricing strategies, balancing seasonality, economy, customer segments, property objectives and customer satisfaction; established revenue strategy that supports the hotel’s positioning in local market; ensures demand forecasting and sound revenue practices are in place to maximize yield; identifies ways to grow occupancy, RevPAR, and market share by researching and staying aware of competitor strategies; controls labor and capital expenses.
Builds strong rapport with property owners through proactive and on-going communication; keeps owner informed of brand initiatives and guest experiences; provides owners with in-depth analysis of property performance, incorporating guest, financial and employee business data; manages an effective balance between owner interests and Marriott brand interests and develops solutions that create value for both; develops and effectively promotes ideas for improving property service and profitability to ownership.
Customer and Public Relations Management
Interacts with guests and other customers on a frequent basis to obtain feedback about their experiences on property; utilizes guest/customer feedback to recognize outstanding employee service performance and improve service delivery; emphasizes and holds leadership team accountable for addressing service failures or potential service failures, and for developing innovative ways to exceed guest expectations; establishes presence in the market by actively promoting an exemplary property/brand image, involving oneself in the local community, and by developing strategic alliances with local officials, businesses, and customers; anticipates needs of large groups or high profile guests in order to deliver flawless service; verifies that products, services, and events attain the appropriate publicity (“PR buzz”).
Company/Brand Policy, Procedures, and Standards Compliance
Verifies property compliance with legal, safety, operations, labor, and Marriott brand product and service standards; conducts both routine and short-notice quality assurance audits with specific departments; holds employees accountable for performing audits on a regular basis; conducts detailed walk-throughs to ensure building, public areas, kitchen, and grounds are well-maintained, safe, and meet or exceed guest expectations; validates that employees are appropriately trained and performing to standard.