Product Design Engineer
Engineering | Windsor, Canada
Polar Racking is looking to change the world, one solar panel at a time. As the market leader in solar mounting solutions in Canada, we are rapidly expanding our product line and entering new markets. We are on track to become one of the largest mounting solutions providers in the world. It’s an ambitious goal, so we need energetic, resourceful and talented people to help pave the way. Our firm is comprised entirely of young, talented professionals who want to shape the new energy paradigm for the next generation of Canadians. If you want to be a part of one of the most dynamic and fastest growing companies in renewable energy and you have the shoulders for us to stand on, tell us what sets you apart from the rest.
This position focuses on Product Development including design, verification, validation, launch and support of solar PV racking systems and components. The Product Designer is responsible for developing and evaluating design solutions to meet cost and design targets. They also need to work closely with manufacturing partners and assess manufacturing capability to establish skills requirements for production, as well as choose the facilities where production should take place, including methods of fabrication.
- Research and develop systems solutions for identified market opportunities according to Polar’s product roadmap
- Design products utilizing prescribed tools such as Solidworks, Inventor, QFD, CAD, DFMA, DFMEA’s in accordance with Polar and ISO9000 requirements and procedures.
- Develop project plans, coordinate activities and report on project status in an effective and timely manner.
- Hold design reviews and conduct validation tests (salt spray, mechanical load testing, lifecycle tolerance validation, etc.)
- Prepare production specifications to Polar standards and liaison with manufacturing engineering and production.
- Participate in “make versus buy” decisions for components and/or assemblies.
- Analyze operational efficiency for components and/or assemblies to determine if more efficient design or manufacturing methods can be implemented.
- Assist in applications support and troubleshooting as required.
- Perform other duties and undertake special projects as assigned by the Director of Engineering
- University degree in mechanical or manufacturing engineering or equivalent.
- Self motivated team player with demonstrated problem solving skills and mechanical aptitude.
- 4 or more years of design experience.
- Familiarity with building products and relevant civil building codes.
- Familiarity with advanced quality-planning techniques such as design FMEAs.
- Professional Engineering License strongly recommended.
- Familiarity with volume production processes including forming, welding, stamping, machining, casting.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills and the ability to articulate ideas clearly both with the written and spoken word.
- Strong proficiency in Solidworks, Inventor, Autocad and Microsoft Office Tools, especially Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Project
- Ability to work under time constraints and handle multiple tasks with little or no supervision to produce a quality product in a timely fashion.
- Experience working in a multi-cultural, multi-national environment, working through issues and achieving resolution to challenging problems with little or no supervision.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and problem-solving ability.
- Demonstrated ability to be productive, positive and pro-active in a stressful work environment, by prioritizing work and adapting to changing work demands.
- English language fluency - verbal and written required.
- Some travel may be required (up to 10%).