Summer Undergraduate Internship – Structural Biology
Summer Internships | Berkeley, CA | Internship
This is a summer internship for undergraduate students who will still be in an undergraduate program in the Fall of 2018.
We would like to host a highly motivated summer intern student in the Dept. of Structural Biology at Plexxikon. During the summer, the student will participate in and contribute to our high throughput co-crystallography efforts in our department and make an impact on our drug discovery efforts on many disease targets in the therapeutic areas of oncology, inflammation and metabolic diseases. Under the supervision of experienced scientists, the intern student will:
- Learn the basic principles of macromolecular crystallization and X-ray crystallography. Conduct crystal screening experiments of proteins with different small molecule inhibitors:
- Design and make crystallization screens using robotic liquid dispensers
- Setup crystallization plates using a robotic crystallization system
- Optimize crystal growth conditions
- Manipulate and cryoprotect protein crystals. Interpret crystal structures of protein-inhibitor complexes. Present new data.
- A final presentation is given for the department and at the company Research Meeting.
Plexxikon, a member of the Daiichi Sankyo Group, is a leader in the discovery and development of novel, small molecule pharmaceuticals. The company utilizes its proprietary discovery platform to successfully develop a portfolio of competitively differentiated clinical and preclinical stage compounds in a number of therapeutic areas. Plexxikon’s most advanced program, Zelboraf™ (vemurafenib) was the first oral targeted therapy to be approved for the treatment of both metastatic and unresectable melanomas. Plexxikon's demonstrated capability in discovery and early development uniquely positions the company to develop multiple commercial franchises for different therapeutic indications, and to create significant value for Plexxikon, Daiichi Sankyo and its collaborators.
Plexxikon's novel discovery approach, combined with experienced management and scientific teams, a broad network of scientific and clinical experts, and partnerships supporting later stage development, have been key drivers of the company's success since it began operations in 2001. Plexxikon is a small business with approximately 70 employees based in Berkeley, California.
Summer 2018 will be Plexxikon’s fourteenth year of participation in the undergraduate summer internship program, having experienced highly successful results in each previous year. This is a paid internship that will run from Friday, June 1 – Friday, August 11, 2018. Our office is just off I80 at University Avenue. Please find out more at: www.plexxikon.com.