Summer Undergraduate Internship - Protein Chemistry
Summer Internships | Berkeley, CA | Internship
This is a summer internship for undergraduate students who will still be in an undergraduate program in the Fall of 2018.
The Department of Protein Chemistry at Plexxikon has an internship opportunity for a student motivated to learn about Recombinant Protein Expression & Purification Systems, and the role of protein chemistry in the drug discovery process. The intern will be responsible for the following:
- Expressing target proteins using both Baculovirus Expression Vector System as well as a e.coli based systems
- Maintenance of insect cell lines, bacmid DNA transfection, baculovirus production and titer determination
- Perform expression optimization experiments to maximize protein yield
- Scale-up protein production to 25L insect cell culture in Wave bioreactor
- Purify proteins, using FPLC and various chromatographic techniques, to meet high standards of purity and activity
- Characterize proteins using SDS-PAGE, Native-PAGE, UV Spectroscopy, SEC, and DLS
- Design plasmid constructs and plan for protein expression experiments
- Interface with the Assay/Screening group to provide them with purified, active protein for screening experiments
- Interface with the Structural Biology group to provide them with purified and concentrated protein for crystallography experiments
- Prepare and give a presentation of your experimental results to the company
A final presentation is given for the department and then at the company Research Meeting.
Plexxikon, a member of the Daiichi Sankyo Group, is a leader in the discovery and development of novel, small molecule pharmaceuticals. The company utilizes its proprietary discovery platform to successfully develop a portfolio of competitively differentiated clinical and preclinical stage compounds in a number of therapeutic areas. Plexxikon’s most advanced program, Zelboraf™ (vemurafenib) was the first oral targeted therapy to be approved for the treatment of both metastatic and unresectable melanomas. Plexxikon's demonstrated capability in discovery and early development uniquely positions the company to develop multiple commercial franchises for different therapeutic indications, and to create significant value for Plexxikon, Daiichi Sankyo and its collaborators.
Plexxikon's novel discovery approach, combined with experienced management and scientific teams, a broad network of scientific and clinical experts, and partnerships supporting later stage development, have been key drivers of the company's success since it began operations in 2001. Plexxikon is a small business with approximately 70 employees based in Berkeley, California.
Summer 2018 will be Plexxikon’s fourteenth year of participation in the undergraduate summer internship program, having experienced highly successful results in each previous year. This is a paid internship that will run from Friday, June 1 – Friday, August 11, 2018. Our office is just off I80 at University Avenue. Please find out more at: www.plexxikon.com.