Facilities | South San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Plexxikon, a member of the Daiichi Sankyo Group, is a leader in the discovery and development of novel, small molecule pharmaceuticals. The company utilizes its proprietary discovery platform to successfully develop a portfolio of competitively differentiated clinical and preclinical stage compounds in a number of therapeutic areas. Plexxikon’s most advanced program, Zelboraf™ (vemurafenib) was the first oral targeted therapy to be approved for the treatment of both metastatic and unresectable melanomas. Plexxikon's demonstrated capability in discovery and early development uniquely positions the company to develop multiple commercial franchises for different therapeutic indications, and to create significant value for Plexxikon, Daiichi Sankyo and patients.
Plexxikon's novel discovery approach, combined with experienced management and scientific teams, a broad network of scientific and clinical experts, and partnerships supporting later stage development, have been key drivers of the company's success since it began operations in 2001. Plexxikon is a small business with approximately 70 employees based in South San Francisco, California.
The Purchasing Specialist will report directly to the Associate Director of Facilities and will be responsible for processing all purchase orders, inventory management, as well as assisting the broader Facilities Department. This is a unique opportunity to work within a successful biotechnology company and be a key contributor for our procurement program.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Serve as the central contact for creating, processing, and tracking purchase orders across multiple departments.
- Review and process purchasing requests, and negotiates with vendors and internal departments by examining price, suitability, and availability of scientific supplies or services
- Organize, update, and retain product information files and purchase order records
- Manage warehouse inventory to ensure office and lab supplies are available by tracking and re-ordering as needed in a timely manner
- Prepare purchase orders through a computerized system for the purchase of goods and services
- Resolve PO issues with internal customers, vendors, and accounting
- Research vendors to locate specialized materials and supplies as requested by the R&D team
- Interview vendors and evaluate their products, capabilities and pricing for consideration as a preferred supplier
- Interface directly with suppliers to negotiate purchasing discounts and other cost saving measures
- Support vendor management activities as needed
- Demonstrate continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide excellent customer service
- Support the broader facilities team on daily tasks, including monitoring the reception phone, greeting visitors, hospitality needs (meeting room set-up, catering) and handle miscellaneous employee requests
- Other duties as assigned
Position Requirements & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree with at least one year of business experience in a customer service, lab or other relevant role required (or at least 3 years of relevant purchasing and inventory experience with no degree)
- Knowledge of chemical solvents and reagents, or chemistry or biology supplies preferred
- Ability to read, comprehend, and apply knowledge of laws, ordinances, rules, regulations and procedures governing procurement and dangerous goods shipping requirements
- Working knowledge of office procedures and equipment, common business practices relating to the purchase, pricing, terms, shipment, taxes, and payment for laboratory supplies and services
- An understanding of principles and practices of centralized purchasing (ideally experienced with the SAGE 100 accounting module and POINT purchasing)
- Familiar with LEAN practices and Kanban systems a plus
- Strong project management skills with accurate attention to detail
- High energy, forward-thinking and creative individual with high ethical standards and a positive and professional demeanor.
- Ability to be flexible and able to function comfortably in a fast paced, changing and dynamic environment
- Desire to learn, tackle new challenges, and be a team player is imperative (i.e., roll-up your sleeves and take on tasks big and small)
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills are essential in this collaborative work environment in resolving internal inquiries and complaints as well as negotiating with vendors
Plexxikon, an equal opportunity employer, and will be based in SSF as of August 2021. We offer a chance to work with talented people in a collaborative environment and provide top-notch benefits including health insurance, generous time off, annual performance bonuses, long-term incentives and much more.
If you are interested in applying for this opportunity, please submit your resume or CV, cover letter and salary requirements. All submissions will be evaluated and interviews will be conducted for those applicants who most strongly fit our needs. If you are not contacted for an interview, your resume will remain on file and active for available positions for a period of one year. To learn more about Plexxikon, please visit our website at www.plexxikon.com.
No Phone Calls Please
No Agencies or Recruiters