Compound Administrator 1
Materials Management | Berkeley, CA | Full Time
Plexxikon, a member of the Daiichi Sankyo Group, is a leader in the discovery and development of novel, small molecule pharmaceuticals. The company utilizes its proprietary discovery platform to successfully develop a portfolio of competitively differentiated clinical and preclinical stage compounds in a number of therapeutic areas. Plexxikon’s most advanced program, Zelboraf™ (vemurafenib) was the first oral targeted therapy to be approved for the treatment of both metastatic and unresectable melanomas. Plexxikon's demonstrated capability in discovery and early development uniquely positions the company to develop multiple commercial franchises for different therapeutic indications, and to create significant value for Plexxikon, Daiichi Sankyo and patients.
Plexxikon's novel discovery approach, combined with experienced management and scientific teams, a broad network of scientific and clinical experts, and partnerships supporting later stage development, have been key drivers of the company's success since it began operations in 2001. Plexxikon is a small business with approximately 70 employees based in Berkeley, California.
This position will be a critical member of the team reporting to the Senior Materials Manager. This is an exceptional opportunity to gain experience in a successful biotech company. The Compound Administrator will able to build new automation to improve the current compound handling and to assist in developing new methods to characterize the properties of compounds.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Receive, maintain, format and disseminate inventory from Plexxikon's compound collection
- Perform sample preparation using balances or liquid handling automation when expediting compound requests for both local and global customers
- Prepare and track compound plates in support of high throughput screening using automated robotic systems and compound inventory control software
- Plate compounds from compound libraries for various assays by cherry picking and by using robots
- Safely store and deliver compounds to the discovery process
- Determine physicochemical properties of compounds by high throughput screening
- Characterize compounds via analytical instrumentation (LCMS and GLPC)
- Report progress and results at group and project team meetings and attend weekly, company-wide research meetings
- Document progress in electronic laboratory notebooks
- Work closely with other teams in the organization
- Other duties as assigned
Position Requirements & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, chemistry, biochemistry, pharmacology or related field or related experience
- Previous lab experience in biochemical assay development preferred
- Knowledge of drug metabolism and pharmaco kinetics (DMPK) and toxicity preferred
- Experience with liquid handlers and robotics a plus
- Capable of independently planning and executing experiments
- Highly motivated and able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated technical proficiency, scientific creativity, and problem-solving ability
- Proactively seeking out senior personnel to discuss potential solutions to problems
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills are essential in this collaborative work environment
- Desire to learn and tackle new challenges is imperative
Plexxikon, an equal opportunity employer, is located in Berkeley, just off interstate 80. We offer a chance to work with talented people in a collaborative environment and provide excellent benefits including health insurance, an annual performance bonus and long-term incentive program, generous time off and much more. To learn more about Plexxikon, please visit our website at www.plexxikon.com.
If you are interested in applying for this opportunity, please submit your resume or CV, cover letter and salary requirements. All submissions will be evaluated and interviews will be conducted for those applicants who most strongly fit our needs. If you are not contacted for an interview, your resume will remain on file and active for available positions for a period of one year.
Please no phone calls, agencies or recruiters