Staff or Lead Engineer, Analytics & Distributed Data Processing
Engineering | San Mateo, CA
You’re a systems engineer that enjoys the challenge of architecting and building amazing, large-scale commercial server products. You have the chops to build the infrastructure that powers high-performance data crunching on large volumes of data while ensuring simplicity and ease-of-use of the overall product. You enjoy the thrill of coming up with brilliant ideas and can articulate their value-prop to stakeholders, but are most satisfied when you turn these ideas into solid high quality implementations that make customers successful. Helping the field and support teams is something you enjoy as this gives you a view into the customer's world and the insights gained help trigger ideas for improving the product with differentiated features. You have the drive and spark to thrive in a fast-growing startup.
At Platfora, we are leading the way in building an interactive, fully integrated, big data analytics platform complete with Hadoop and Spark based data extraction and transformations, high-performance MPP in-memory query processing, and rich visualizations. This role involves working with a top-notch team to architect and build features in the MPP query engine and the distributed Hadoop/Spark data processing layer.
In addition to an enjoyment of a collaborative, open and synergistic working environment, you should have:
- A strong background in database internals, query processing, and/or distributed systems.
- Industry experience building and delivering high-performance data processing engines.
- A distinguished track record of innovation and delivering on technically demanding projects
- Excellent coding skills, Java and Linux expertise, good grasp of SQL and BI/data warehousing concepts.
- Good troubleshooting skills and willingness to help the field and customer support teams, as needed.
- An ability to juggle priorities and make the right tradeoffs in feature content and timely delivery of features while ensuring customer success and technology leadership for the company.
- A BS in Computer Science, MS or PhD preferred
Nice to have's
- Familiarity with Hadoop/Spark
- Scala expertise
- Startup experience
Platfora is the #1 native Big Data Analytics platform for Hadoop. Platfora puts big data directly into the hands of line-of-business people through self-service analytics that help them uncover new opportunities that were once impossible or impractical.
We have assembled a uniquely diverse engineering team with experience ranging from academic and industrial research to building and delivering cutting-edge software. Our product is an integrated interactive big-data analytics platform, complete with Hadoop and Spark-based data crunching capabilities, a proprietary distributed in-memory analytic query engine, and a novel browser-based data visualization layer. We are backed by the biggest names in venture capital.
Leading organizations such as Thomson Reuters, Citi, Disney, Edmunds.com, Groupon, Opower, Riot Games, Sears, Vivint and The Washington Post use Platfora.
Tags: Java, Scala, Hadoop, Spark, MPP, analytics, query processing, database internals, distributed systems, business intelligence, big data, data warehousing, enterprise software