Staff Engineer, Distributed Systems
Engineering | San Mateo, CA
You’re a systems engineer that enjoys the challenge of building amazing, large-scale commercial server products. You earned your CS degree to build something truly universe-busting and we want you to make it happen here!
You’ve built core technologies from the ground up in past gigs, and can do it again as needed. You know the value of applying the right algorithm to the job and the chops to implement it in a performant and extensible way. You’re also of the mind that software is written for use, and grok that it’s no use to build something that has no purpose; your software should be improving someone’s life.
In this role, you will collaborate with other top-notch developers to build a new and unique way of analyzing, visualizing and understanding large amounts of data via our distributed, cutting edge system. Specific duties include:
- Design and build features in the distributed query engine and the Hadoop data extraction and processing layers
- Implement and deliver high-quality features that are built for speed, scale, and usability.
- Participation in the full life-cycle of software development.
- Help solve customer issues and pitch in to maintain existing code base, as needed.
In addition to an enjoyment of a collaborative, open and synergistic working environment, you should have...
- Background in database internals, query processing, and distributed systems.
- Excellent coding skills, Java and Linux expertise, knowledge of SQL.
- Good troubleshooting skills and willingness to help field and customer support as needed.
- BS in Computer Science; MS or PhD preferred.
Nice to have's
- Industry experience building and delivering high-performance and scalable systems.
- Familiarity with Hadoop components and processing frameworks.
Tags: Java, Scala, Hadoop, Spark, Open Source, Apache, query processing, database internals, distributed systems, business intelligence, big data, data warehousing, enterprise software
Platfora is the #1 native Big Data Analytics platform for Hadoop. Platfora puts big data directly into the hands of line-of-business people through self-service analytics that help them uncover new opportunities that were once impossible or impractical.
We have assembled a uniquely diverse engineering team with experience ranging from academic and industrial research to building and delivering cutting-edge software. Our product is an integrated interactive big-data analytics platform, complete with Hadoop and Spark-based data crunching capabilities, a proprietary distributed in-memory analytic query engine, and a novel browser-based data visualization layer. We are backed by the biggest names in venture capital.
Leading organizations such as Thomson Reuters, Citi, Cox Automotive, Edmunds.com, Groupon, Opower, Riot Games, Sears, Vivint and The Washington Post use Platfora.