Operations | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Plastiq (pronounced "Plastic") is a fast-growing tech company changing the landscape of payments, empowering you to use your cards everywhere cards aren’t accepted. Starting with a vision to drive new payment choice for tuition, Plastiq has evolved into a service enabling cardholders to put all of their important payments on card. Plastiq is headquartered in San Francisco, with satellite operations in Boston and Toronto, and is backed by top advisors and investors from across the financial sector, academia, and consumer technology.
A rapidly growing team, we fully believe in the work hard-play hard model. Dedicated to transforming the payments industry and giving payment power to the consumers, we also love to have fun, ride our Plastiq bikes around the city, go on team outings, and occasionally (or frequently) have a glass of wine.
Role at a Glance
Plastiq is looking for an outstanding leader to help scale our risk capabilities to the next phase of business growth. You will develop and execute strategy to scale fraud management and business risk operations to promote great experiences for our users. This will include identifying tools, processes, and team needs to support the strategy. You will also be responsible for enabling safer payments for our users and for helping us manage payments fraud intelligently. In addition, you will manage counter-party risk as well as related compliance and regulatory risk. As Risk Lead, you will wear multiple hats and need to think about customer advocacy and fraud/risk management, which can be in conflict at times. This position is very hands on and will be a hybrid role between managing the team and also rolling up your sleeves and managing risk, documenting policy and procedure and analyzing data.
- You are passionate about customers and meeting their needs.
- You have a strong knowledge of transactional risk.
- You have knowledge of fraud detection and prevention techniques.
- You have built and managed teams, and are not afraid of getting your hands dirty when necessary.
- You are naturally curious: if something seems off, you want to figure out what's going on.
- You’re decisive, yet open to learning; you will make many critical decisions every day, and you will be wrong some of the time.
- You are data-driven and understand input metrics to drive the right outcomes. You believe strongly in knowing and understanding the numbers behind a problem.
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment, and drive and embrace change.
- You’re an excellent communicator with an ability to succinctly convey complex ideas.
- You have 8+ years risk management experience.
- You have 3+ years of management experience.
- Experience in a two-sided marketplace highly desired.
- Payments expertise a strong plus.
- BA/BS or equivalent required.
- Extend devised risk strategy and position into operational practices and policy.
- Research and design the right risk methodology that fits our team, promotes efficiency, and maintains trust.
- Identify and analyze issues, patterns, and trends in customer requests, risk, and product performance.
- Gather and synthesize relevant data, suggesting improvements in the tools and techniques to help scale the team for increased effectiveness and efficiency, driving productivity initiatives.
- Treat risk as a product, innovating and iterating on the user experience based on risk performance and quality metrics.
- Monitor accounts and transactions to identify and anticipate fraudulent behavior.
- Scale risk processes to cover an increasingly large and complex landscape of fraud as our user base expands.
- Work with our banking partners to tailor our compliance and risk management techniques.
- Work with internal teams across Plastiq to develop and support new and existing offerings with respect to risk and compliance.