Senior 2D Artist
Art | Mountain View, CA | Full Time
We are looking for a veteran 2D game artist to support our hit mobile game, Choices: Stories You Play. The ideal candidate should have a strong character illustration and concept art skill set, contributing to the team as we continue to pioneer new projects and improve upon new art standards. In this fast-paced, team-oriented environment, our ideal Senior 2D Artist will help establish the art style, create game assets and cinematic illustrations, set up and document processes, and train up teammates. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are operating remotely at this time. Once we resume onsite operations, the position is expected to work out of Mountain View, CA.
As an experienced Artist, you will work closely with the Art Director to develop and champion art styles in high rendering quality. You have a concept artist background and are talented at creating attractive characters, captivating environments, and compelling props and creatures that best fit the tone of the project's stories. This requires you to have the range to render art appropriate for romance, sci-fi, fantasy, or horror genres, as well as be an expert in various styles from realistic illustration to contemporary cel-shading or anime techniques. Additionally, you are skilled in maneuvering lighting and mood, conveying body language, and pulling together fashionable outfits to compose enticing cinematography catering to the project's market and brand.
With years in the industry, you possess a team-first, process-inclined mentality. Aside from art creation, you are a natural leader, who takes initiative to communicate style, create efficient pipelines, train and provide effective feedback to teammates to meet the art standards. Moreover, you are a disciplined, organized, and detail-oriented individual, who can perform well in a synergetic setting. You are easy to collaborate with across various departments and are willing to lead and be led.
REQUIREMENTS AND EXPERIENCE
- 7+ years in game development with 4 shipped mobile/console titles or similar experience.
- Able to paint anatomically-accurate humans and creatures in various perspectives, and bring forth personality through subtle facial expressions or posture.
- Able to render high-quality, realistic skins, hair, fabrics, etc.
- Possesses a good understanding of lighting, color, forms, and composition to enhance the narratives in an art work.
- Well-versed in a variety of popular art styles whether they are realism, anime, and so on.
- Able to establish a consistent and stunning UI style that enhances gameplay experience.
- Able to frequently interact with managers and producers to improve on art processes and workflow.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills for planning, critiquing, and training.
- Enthusiastic and energetic.
- Collaborates well with producers, engineers, marketing, etc.
- Highly organized in personal and corporate file management.
- Knowledge of fashion and how to dress characters appealingly.
- Skilled at Illustrator for vector art and logo design.
- Familiarity with Live 2D animation tools.
- Familiarity with all Adobe Creative Suite applications, such as After Effects.
- Familiarity with 3D software such as Maya, Max, or Zbrush.
- A cover letter indicating why you are interested in the position.
- A current resume highlighting relevant and educational experience.
- Your portfolio: Only digital formats such as a website, blog or online album are accepted. Physical media will not be considered.
- An art test will follow after the initial phone interview.
Candidates without the above materials will not be considered.
- Health, dental, and Vision insurance plans
- 401k with matching program
- Relaxed, open office environment (Pre-covid)
- Free food and snacks
- Work from home Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Board game nights, movie field trips, and murder mystery parties!
- That warm fuzzy feeling that you’re not just making a difference at a company, but in the lives of people all over the world.
Pixelberry is a studio in Mountain View, CA dedicated to creating story games with heart. Many members of our team have worked together in the mobile space for over a decade. Our Top 25 app, Choices: Stories You Play, is a narrative game played by millions of players around the world.
None of this would be possible without a tight-knit team of eager, passionate, and talented minds. At Pixelberry, we do what we love, and we love what we get to do. The entire company laughs through lunch together daily, lines up for movie field trips on opening day, and plays board games late into the night. And the first time you get a thank-you message from a troubled teen player or their mother telling you that your game literally saved their life, you’ll know that you haven’t just found a job. You’ve found a purpose.
We believe that the unique contributions of all our team is the driver of our success. To make sure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone’s perspectives and experience we never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines. Pixelberry is an Equal Opportunity Employer.