Game Design and UX Manager
Design | Mountain View, CA | Full Time
We are looking for a talented Game Design & UX Manager to help manage the design team for our hit mobile game “Choices: Stories You Play” as well as new projects. You'll work with a team that is 5 for 5 in launching mobile games into the Top Grossing 100. We are pioneers of interactive fiction on mobile and are working on a fresh, new game unlike anything in the market.
This position will focus mainly on managing and coordinating both game designers and UX designers. You will manage a team of internal designers as well as maintain relationships with external design vendors, champion design initiatives and best practices, coordinate design feature planning and implementation across multiple projects, mentor designers, and ensure clear working relationships with producers, engineers, artists, writers, and QA.
You would also be working closely with our Head of Design to create a vision for individual projects and overall feature design work. However, this position is focused much more on managing people, creating strong processes, and working with other teams than it is about individual contributions in game design or UX.
You would be working with a highly seasoned team, one that believes in delivering category leading games that touch millions. Our employees are passionate about our players and as a result some players refer to our studio as “family.” They love our games’ focus on racial, gender, sexual, and identity diversity, and hold us accountable when they expect more.
We love what we do and are looking for someone who wants to grow with us.
This would be for a full time, eventually on-site position in Mountain View, CA. Pre-covid, we worked from home two times a week, so our team is used to the productivity of remote work but also cares about building culture from in-office interactions.
- Work with product owners and internal teams to set design priorities and find solutions to achieve player, business and technical goals.
- Establish UX and UI guidelines, design principles and best practices.
- Oversee the game and UX design processes for both games and tools.
- Hire, manage and mentor a team of talented designers to deliver great player experiences.
- Maintain and manage external relationships with design partners.
- Contribute throughout the whole lifecycle of game development shipping fun, innovative features played by millions
- Work closely with studio leadership in planning for the future
- Solid People Skills
- 5 years+ of UX design or game systems design experience
- 2 years+ of experience in the games industry
- 2 years+ of design or UX management experience
- A passion to work on games
- Firm grasp of modern best practices for design processes, design systems, agile methodologies etc.
- A cover letter indicating why you're interested in the position
We encourage you to download and play Choices: Stories You Play (available on iOS and Android) to get a feel for the type of work our studio does.
Pixelberry is a studio in Mountain View, CA dedicated to creating story games with heart. Many members of our team have worked together in the mobile space for over a decade. Our Top 25 app, Choices: Stories You Play, is a narrative game played by millions of players around the world.
None of this would be possible without a tight-knit team of eager, passionate, and talented minds. At Pixelberry, we do what we love, and we love what we get to do. The entire company laughs through lunch together daily, lines up for movie field trips on opening day, and plays board games late into the night. And the first time you get a thank-you message from a troubled teen player or their mother telling you that your game literally saved their life, you’ll know that you haven’t just found a job. You’ve found a purpose.
- Relaxed, open office environment
- Free food and snacks
- Work from home Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Board game nights, movie field trips, and murder mystery parties!
- That warm fuzzy feeling that you’re not just making a difference at a company, but in the lives of people all over the world.