Art | Mountain View, CA | Full Time
We are looking for a veteran 2D painter to support our hit mobile game, Choices: Stories You Play. The ideal candidate will be highly flexible and able to work in a creative, fast-paced, team-collaborating environment. You will be expected to deliver in-game art assets, as well as cinematic and promotional illustrations. This is a full-time position that will eventually be on-site in Mountain View, CA once our office reopens post-COVID-19 restrictions.
Choices releases various interactive books in genres such as romance, sci-fi, fantasy, historical fiction, suspense, action, horror, and more. As the artist assigned to lead a book, you will work closely with the writers and producers to develop the book’s brand and tone, its characters, creatures, environment, and props. You would have the range to switch between styles, from illustrated-realism to cartoon, anime, and any other style necessary. You are knowledgeable in many genres through various media. And you understand how to capture the player's interest through cinematography, body language, and fashionable outfits according to each genre. You have skills in graphic design to produce marketing ads for your book.
As an art lead, you are organized and disciplined and can adapt quickly to complex pipeline processes. You will track asset progress, maintain clear communications, and provide effective critiques that elevates asset qualities. You are easy to collaborate with, take initiative, know how to lead with modesty, and empower your teammates to succeed.
REQUIREMENTS AND EXPERIENCE
- 5 years of experience in game development, with 2 shipped mobile/console titles
- An expert in Photoshop, both as a painter and as an image manipulator
- Possesses a good understanding of lighting, color, form, and composition
- Able to create multiple concept iterations and steer within design constraints
- Able to paint anatomically-accurate humans and creatures in different angles and bring forth personality through subtle facial expressions or posture
- Able to paint natural skins, hair, fabrics, etc.
- Well-versed in a variety of art styles such as illustrated-realism, anime, cartoon, etc.
- Able to provide polished art assets while meeting strict deadlines
- A great team player who can both take the lead and be led by others
- Good communication skills are a must
- Energetic and enthusiastic
- Highly organized
- Knowledge in fashion and how to dress characters appealingly
- Proficient in Illustrator for vector art and graphic design
- Familiarity with all Adobe Creative Suite applications, such as Flash and After Effects
- Familiarity with 3D software such as Maya, Max, or Zbrush
- A cover letter indicating why you are interested in the position
- A current resume highlighting relevant and educational experience
- Your portfolio: Only digital formats such as a website, blog or online album are accepted; physical media will not be considered
- An art test will follow after the initial phone interview
Candidates without the above materials will not be considered.
- Health, Dental, and Vision plans
- 401k with matching program
- Relaxed, open office environment (Pre-COVID)
- Free food and snacks (Pre-COVID)
- Work from home Tuesdays and Thursdays (Pre-COVID)
- Board game nights, movie field trips, and murder mystery parties! (Pre-COVID)
- That warm fuzzy feeling that you’re not just making a difference at a company, but in the lives of people all over the world
Pixelberry is a studio in Mountain View, CA dedicated to creating story games with heart. Many members of our team have worked together in the mobile space for over a decade. Our Top 25 app, Choices: Stories You Play, is a narrative game played by millions of players around the world.
None of this would be possible without a tight-knit team of eager, passionate, and talented minds. At Pixelberry, we do what we love, and we love what we get to do. The entire company laughs through lunch together daily, lines up for movie field trips on opening day, and plays board games late into the night. And the first time you get a thank-you message from a troubled teen player or their mother telling you that your game literally saved their life, you’ll know that you haven’t just found a job. You’ve found a purpose.
Pixelberry values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages women, Black/BIPOC, LGBT individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Pixelberry Studios is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.